Kaskaskia River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by alands94, Dec 11, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Brian and I are talking about hitting the Kaskaskia River next year between Mascoutah and New Athens. I've heard there is some great catfishing in that section, but I don't personally know anyone who fishes it. I am new to river fishing - does anyone have any info., tips, etc. on this stretch of the river? I know the Mascoutah - Fayetteville section is not channelized and the Fayetteville - New Athens section is channelized. Two different types of river. All info is greatly appreciated!!!

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Aron, I fished this river alot last year. but not in the area you are talking about. I have only fished down river from Hwy 154 in the Balwin area to the Mississippi River. The Kaskaskia is more like a long lake in this area unless they have the gates at the dam open. We moved up River with our fishing this fall because there was to much bardge traffic, getting the grain out after the harvest. I haven't been in a couple of weeks. We usually do some jug fishing My jugs hate barges. I am looking forward to see what kind of feed back you get from your post . Good Luck

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Don't plan on using your motor unless you have a jet.. Plan on using your trolling motor and work it like a creek or finger off of a lake.. Work your way upriver looking for holes and trying to miss the sandbars.. With some patience and searching you should be able to find holes with some nice flatheads in them..

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well I really don't know what to say on this, most of (90%) of my kasky fishing is either above Carlyle or less that 6-7 miles down. I do agree that the barge traffic can be more of a pain on busy days, do you have electronics? use them to find any type of difference in the bottom, look for "brush piles with current, some of the better spots will be discharge pipes or feeder creeks that are running current. always remember if on a bend that one side may not offer a bite and 30 feet to the other side can be a super day. I have found over the years that you just (hard to explain) get a feel or learn to read the water, depending on the flow, weather it is level, on the rise, drop, fresh flooding (dirty water) level full ( cleaner water) I have fished days that you couldn't buy a bite in a deep hole to find that a drift pattern worked well on a shallow strait area, One thing, DO NOT assume that the middle is the safest place to run the water. look at the surface of the flow it will show you where it is going. Some times the up side of a brush pile is better than the down side and vise versa. A Bigger feeder creek that you can get up in (even if only a few feet) is always a good bet. ALSO keep in mind that a sandy gravel bottom, with a little current will usually be holding more during the spawn, especially if it connects to a nice hole. Also one other thing I would add is the Kasky flats seem to start there run/spawn around the 3rd week in may and is usually real good until mid June, (have got my nicest Flathead from that time frame over the past 20 years), oh yea, 4-6" bullhead are very good bait in this river, I also think it helps if you cut the (horns) fins off with side cutters, removes the chance of sticking the fishes mouth and in return them dropping the bait.
    Anything that you would read in the bigger rivers posting on here will help greatly, some thing you just may want to down size a bit but will and do work! Oh yea, and after BW lands a nice PB 40#r try and keep his jumping up and down to a minimal amount, as this could be dangerous, not to mention the squealing like a happy schoolgirl after her first kiss :eek:oooh::smile2:. Hope some of this may help ya out, just apply what you already know and keep it simple, that works the best in my book.
    Randy

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for replying, guys. Great info! It will be a lot of trial and error, but it will definitely be fun!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Randy for some good solid information. Does Brian really do all those things when he catches a big one? I guess we could rename him the squealer.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

Truth be told... if I catch a40lb'er... I don't think Randy is too far off. Let's see the fat man jump around in the boat for awhile!

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: That really wasn't the one I was worried about :smile2::smile2::smile2: :tounge_out:

AND what do you mean IF you catch one that big, more like WHEN:wink:

9. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Give some thought to where those barges are loading along the bank. Grain spillage will attract cats, lots of cats. You can go in after a barge leaves and have a day you won't forget. My brother in law took me out on Kentucky Lake to a grain barge dock. They were rocking our boat, you could almost scoop them out by hand.