Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the US Coast Guard stationed in St Louis, we are the guys that buoy the river.
Me and my supriviser are goin to take his small john boat down to the Kaskaskia River near New Athens. I have never been on the kas except at the lock and dam where the river eneters the Mississippi.

We are looking to go after catfish big or small, mainly just looking to get bowed up.

Im looking for some advice on:
Where or how we should get bait?
If the Kas river is worth are time or if theres a better place to be?
Wat river structure should we look for to fish?
Wat rigs are prefered to use?

· Registered
2,534 Posts
The kaskaskia river is good fishing for catfish, Among other species. I caught the fish in my avatar, and another one just like it one night downstream from carlyle lake in the kaskaskia. They were biting skipjacks good that night..Also asian carp cut up works pretty good. It's kind of unusual to catch blues like this, that far from the sippi. But, last year the water was up good all year and they migrated, I guess. Anyway There's decent numbers of flatheads in that river. I like using bluegills, chubs, and shad alive for them. Look for brushpiles, logjams, and any underwater structure that might hold them. If you fish at night be very quiet and fish structure close the the bank. Sometimes as shallow as 2 foot of water. I use a carolina rig usually. A 2/0 swivel, sinker slides, 10-16 inch leader, and 7/0-10/0 circle hooks. Good luck, I hope you find them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.