kaskaskia river

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by hock_paul, Jul 26, 2009.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Went south of baldwin last friday night and caught 18 cats, channels, blues, and flatheads and had a great time! We caught all of the fish in one spot from 9-11:30 p.m.. We went last night to the same spot and didn't catch a thing there, but managed to scratch out 5 channels, one really nice one, and two flatheads at a couple of other spots. The river was kinda low, but the current was moving pretty good. I had assumed that the flatheads were pretty much done with the spawn, but one of the flats that I kept was a female full of eggs:sad2:. I don't have a problem with myself or anybody else keeping a couple of fish for the table, but it was kind of dissapointing to see the eggs in that female. I don't keep anything over ten lbs., but I don't think I'm gonna keep anymore flatheads period.
    Anyway, we had a good time on the river and it was a nice night weather-wise as well! GOOD LUCK GUYS!

Attached Files:

• r2.jpg
      r2.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    • steph1.jpg
      steph1.jpg
      File size:
      15.5 KB
      Views:
    • f5.jpg
      f5.jpg
      File size:
      34.7 KB
      Views:
  2. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    More pics!

Attached Files:

• dan1.jpg
      dan1.jpg
      File size:
      21.6 KB
      Views:
    • r7.jpg
      r7.jpg
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:

3. USNTWEEK

USNTWEEK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the report. Cant get them everytime but at least you did have one good night.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  4. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    I may be asking you for some advice soon! I'm new to river fishing and have been out on the Kaskaskia at Fayetteville. We fished up river a few hundred yards and caught a 15 lb Blue and a 6 lb Flathead at night. Good fun although I'd love to catch more. Keep me posted on your future trips!

Brian

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Nice fish

6. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Brian!:0a25: North of Fayetteville is where I go when I want to specifically target flats. There are a lot of net-fisherman:sad2::angry:, but there are still some nice flats up there. I go south when I want to mix it up with some channels and Blues. GOOD LUCK FISHING BRIAN!:wink: If you have any questions, write a post, or check out the member library. It is chock full of fishing info. that's invaluable to anybody wanting to catch more catfish.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul congrats on your nice catch at Baldwin.

8. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    We caught the 15 lb Blue about 100 Yards north of the Fayetteville ramp on a gold fish.... right in the middle of the river. I caught the flathead next to a snag.... I don't specifically target Flats but they are more intriguing to me. Big cats are what Im after:big_smile:. I plan on spending all my spare time out here. I love this area.