Kaskaskia River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by noah, Feb 27, 2009.

1. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    i have never been on kaskaskia river i was wondering were the nearest boat launch is to herrin il and what i need to know about the river
    in example stumps rocks current an so on i have a 15 ft boat with a 25 yamaha its quick but the boat is skinny
    thanks for the help:cool2::roll_eyes::wink:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Can't help ya with the ramp down there, but it is the river, every time it floods it is different, just need to be careful and learn to read the water, the deepest channel is NOT always the middle........ and ya may as well expect to whack the lower unit a time or two, it is gonna happen......

3. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    The Kaskaskia is running pretty much bank full and in some places is flooded out into the bottoms. It may not be a good time to get out in a narrow boat unless you are a very good boater and capable of reading an unfamiliar flooded river. I don't want to spoil your fun, I just want you to be safe. As far as the nearest boat launch, you would have to travel west to maybe Evansville, Il. If there is a launch close to Baldwin Lake, that may be a little closer to you.

4. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Noah I went to Google Earth to check out the lay of the land between Herrin and the Kaskaskia. You will be heading northwest. Rt 13 or going through Carbondale & Murphysboro too Rt.3 and up to Evansville, you will have figure out the best route.

5. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    noah

im on the kasky all summer long night and day. if u decide to come up give me a holler and i will show u where to catch the bigguns. i usually launch between baldwin and the lock and dam by the mississippi

6. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    thanks i dont plan to go for a while yet but when it starts to get in the 70's or so i will be there i usualy go to mound city and fish the bank every once and a while we take the boat to the barge and use magnets to stick to it while it loads but i would realy lik to go to Kaskaskia so i will be getting ahold of ya:cool2:

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent