Kaskaskia River weekend

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by hock_paul, Jul 14, 2008.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Happy Monday fellas'! I hope everybody did pretty good this weekend if you got the chance to get out on the water. I took the old lady for a boat run on Sunday on the Kaskaskia, south of New Athens. Caught enough bait for a week with 2 throws of the net, although i only got to fish for an hour and a half. We still managed to catch a half dozen blues and channels, nothing huge, but still lots of fun in the sun. I think I'm gonna fish for some flatties up north of Fayetteville this weekend, the current and water level looks pretty good. It will be my first trip up there this year, due to flooding. I was wondering if anyone has been fishing for flats up there, or anywhere else on the Kaskaskia river recently, and tell me how ya'll been doin'? THANKS!!!

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Still never fished a river to date... only been a lake fisherman. I am no help to ya bud.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    look for brush and logjams around outside bends. should be some flatties around those spots

4. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane had a good point about the logjams. I have caught some small flatties on brush, but logjams that don't move when you go by them are the place to be for some BIG flat heads. I like to find a stump that doesn't move when I go by it and has good root structure still intact. Just be careful with the new laws with live bait from a different body of water!

5. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    wish i could tell ya somethin good but we fish the mattoon area where the kaskaskia and shelbyville meet and the water is still pretty ridiculous and i still dont feel safe in my john boat on it yet. best fo luck to you tho!

6. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    fayetville north ..my buddies put a hard lick on them last weekend up there......I was at shelbyville this weekend wasn't worth a crap...some small one's...I going to fayeville in a couple week's...

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hi Rex, do you know if they have to go a pretty good ways north, or stay within the first ten miles or so. The reason i ask is because i know a lot of guys run nets and sets up there and did'nt want to waste time in water that looked good, but had been fished to death. I did pretty good there last year when there was current, but have'nt got to fish it yet this year yet. THANKS!

8. freeburgtrapper

freeburgtrapper New Member

State:
    freeburg,illinois
    Been wanting to get to Fayettville for a couple weeks now. I live about 6 miles from the ramp so it isnt a bad drive just been busy. I have run nets there with a buddy of mine but not this year. He has got some nice fish this year from there. Pleanty of bends for decent set ups. I just need to get up there and hit um.
    Matt

9. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    my buddy at freeburg has been catching some nice one's there.I plan on coming down in a couple of week's.

10. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks guys! I am definetely going Saturday night. I will keep you all posted on how i do. Hopefully I'll have some nice pics to finally poston here. If i do good, I'll probably be back the next weekend.

11. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    ill be on the kasky all weekend too. plan on launchin at baldwin and headin south though. been doing good lately. nothing over 20# though. i know theyre there...just gotta sniff em out.:wink:

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Good luck Travis! I might head that direction on Sunday, during the day. If you see a G3 Jon with a center console(you can't miss it) swing by and say hello. Good Fishing!

13. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois

sounds good. ill be in a camo polar kraft 16 footer. i might be off the water during the day though....darn pleasure boaters tend to hog the river. Night time though, shes allllll mine!:wink:

14. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    had a good night last night on the kasky. found a couple spots holding fish. Caught 8 fish last night. quit at 8 this morning. Biggest being a 19.8lb blue cat. The rest are between 7 and 11 lbs. Caught on shad, asian carp and the biggun i caught with some gold looking chub i caught in the shad net. headin back out tonight to give it another go. might throw out some jugs as well.

15. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    rat sound's like you had a good night...the guy I know fished above fayteville last night and caught a 42 pound blue and a 30 pound flathead and 4 other smaller one's cathing everthing on goldfish ..they have been getting the goldie's at keysport.....

16. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    well last night was alittle different. Good but different. Friday night we caught all blues! saturday night channels and flatheads! NO BLUES AT ALL! its weird cuz theyre there one night and gone the next. fished the exact same spot as friday. also didnt catch near the size of the fish we were friday. Ended up with 11 channels(weighing from 2lbs to 4lbs) and a 12lb flathead.

17. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    heres a couple pics of my biggest fish for the weekend.

Attached Files:

18. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    nice