Kaskaskia River Shelbyville dam

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by slikk03, Aug 7, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    has anybody done any good at the dam in shelbyvill i caught a big walliye on gill but no latheads

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Have not made a run up that way in a while, is there any moving water below the dam???? can't imagine much as low as it is down van- way :crazy:

3. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I fish below the dam at Shelbyville quite a bit and it seems a lot better when the waters are moving, but this summer has been really slow. Went down below the Dam the other day for 3 hours and not even a nibble. Currently the Dam is letting out only 26 cfs. and that's not enough to even get the garbage away from the dam itself. When ever there is water moving we seem too have pretty good luck with Channels and a occasional Muskie.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yea I know what you mean on the trash, I didn't figure there was much if any water going down, we need some for real rain up say from shelby to Champaign 6-7"s would be sweat! Pretty bad when ya cross the bridge on 16 and see a big patch of moss and coon-tail growing in the middle :crazy: of the river, Do you hit it from the bank or boat? the ramp still usable there at the bridge?

5. SteveSm

SteveSm New Member

State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    I have seen several boats this year being put in at that ramp. I fish the dam occasionally and so far this year the only thing I have landed is a 15 pound flathead. Landed was the working word there as I did have a nice muskie on the hook but it tossed it at me from about four feet away:eek:oooh:.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Thinking about tryin below the dam on Friday night, has any one been there in the past few days? thought I may find me one of them 60" Muskie :crazy: just for something to do. I'm sure there isn't much water if any ( more like NONE) but something different for a change, but then again the cooler nights may get something going, Striper Bite seems to be getting a little better over here at Coffeen, been smashing 1-2 oz. white stump jumpers, with 4-8" white tails of some sort, and picking up a few different crank baits off of the deep points..

7. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Randy, I was there a few days ago and got skunked. Not even a nibble in three hours. I planned on going below the dam tonight and possibly Friday.
    We had a pretty good rain this afternoon, so I thought I'd give it a shot this evening.

If you happen to see a Maroon and Silver F-150 with a Tan Topper, that'll be me.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well may just look for ya tomorrow evening, we are either going to give that a try or Coffeen, depending on what if any of this rain does anything between Carlyle and Shelby looks as if it mostly is going the wrong direction, but as ya know if we could just get a couple inches to run off into the ol Kasy she might stir something up?:wink:

9. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    If we could just get it to rain up around Champaign, Lake Shelbyville would come up. What ever we get for now my not help nothing but the feeder creeks coming into the river. Have to wait and see tonight what's going to happen with this weather. Looks like we got another batch of storms coming here in a few hours.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    yea and i'm afraid it is curling off south of us, along I-70 and south, yes about 5-6" would be nice up around champaign back to Decatur area, LOL yea right, maybe next spring I'm afraid, better start prayin for a lot of snow this winter I guess.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Chuck, did ya do any good? Didn't make it up that way, or any way for that matter, woke up with one of them "back to school" head and chest colds I am sure my little girl wanted to share :eek:oooh: felt like S**t most of the day and just didn't feel much like anything this afternoon. Gonna try something either tomorrow or Sunday, with "ALL" this rain just don't know where to go.....:roll_eyes:

12. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Please refer to me as "Charlie", don't care for being called the other.

The answer to your question is Nope...I didn't make it either.
    Both of my sons came home for the weekend from SIU at Carbondale and I didn't make it to the dam at all.

I did fish one of the ponds at Hidden Springs State Park, Friday morning, but didn't have any luck there at all.

Have a good weekend, I have to work the next three nights, so mine is already shot.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well Sorry on the name, yea that sounds about right I see on the weather map rain total as of 12noon showing some spots up north of the lake are red/orange 4-5-6" so far :eek:oooh::eek:oooh: Lovington over to champaign area, that sound about right? of course it will probably take 11/2' to get it up enough for them to let any out, you fish any of the north river coming into the lake?

14. SteveSm

SteveSm New Member

State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    Guys from what I have been told they are going to keep the lake as low as possible so they can dump it next year to repair a hole in the dam. Seems the low level this year was so they could inspect it and find the problem so don't count on the lake being higher anytime soon.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Didn't know that Steve thanks, where is the dam leaking ? along the earthen part or some of the concrete area, you know? was referring more to below the dam in the river, so it sounds like with any good rain north of the lake they should be sending water down the river?, that would be great! Geeeesh no water in the lake :eek:oooh: just what are they gonna do with all them Jet-ski's?

16. SteveSm

SteveSm New Member

State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    Now don't hold me to this but I believe it is leaking along the concrete but I am not positive of that. I just found this out from a conservation officer a week ago. Since then I have worked toooooooooo many hours so my memory is fading fast.:eek:oooh:

I went fishing today on the lake and I did not catch anything but that was not my intent either I simply wanted to be out there for once and have my boat function like it should and it finally did. Such a wonderful time today and I even met a great guy who has extended an offer to go fishing sometime on the Mississippi and Wabash rivers:big_smile:. Now that should be great fun and I cannot wait to go!

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Great! glad all went well for ya, and ya just can't beat an offer like hitting the river, especially now that it looks to be cooling off.

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well we gave it a shot at the spillway, nothing as far as cat goes, didn't see much as catching anything goes either, we did play around with the Muskie tho, had a ball setting my little girl up with a 3/8 oz big jig and some of our homemade lime green 6" tails, she stuck her 1st one about 3' off bank, (those of you who fish them know what that is like) she had her on for about 10 minutes had 2 great jumps cleared water both times, that was enough for this 8 year old, then popped the line and was very upset!, It was great! about 5 minutes later had another one slam her rig, tore off about 30 yards of line and turned straight back at her wide open, LOL, she couldn't crank fast enough, got a jump on this one directly in front of her close enough to get wet from the trashing....... nothing landed but she will be talking about her first hook up on a muskie for ever, it was a great time. Al tho I wish the river had water in it so the cats would get going.

19. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I was drifting the main part of the lake in front of the Dam Monday, as a big crane pulled a pretty good sized beam from somewhere on the West end of the Dam. They also have some partitions set up down towards the water on the first flood gate, which is the one on the West side.

20. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Went below the Dam at Shelbyville this morning and again this evening.
    Not to bad of a day and evening. I caught a 36 inch Muskie this morning, and a 8 to 10 lb. Channel Cat this evening. Biggest channel I've caught so far below the spillway. Caught the Muskie on a piece of shrimp and the Channel on a Nightcrawler. Had a few really decent bites, but couldn't quite get a hook set in them.

Attached Files: