Kaskaskia River Question?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by JMANWI, May 30, 2008.

1. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the last year I've launched at the New Athens ramp a few times and fished for blue/flathead catfish with live/cut bait without much luck. I've heard it's a good flathead/channel river and decent blue river. I'm used to fishing the Mississippi and Missouri river and have done well. I've realized that the Kaskaskia is a different type of river. I haven't noticed many holes and was wondering where people who fish the river a lot look for flatheads and blues. I've noticed a lot of oxbows and have considered trying them for flatheads. Do folks have the best luck in the channel.......around structure..........in creek mouths? Also, I've heard that south of the Marina is the best place to head. I'm just wondering how far I should go. Any info on what stretch of river to fish and what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

2. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Josh most of the time the lower part of the river is more like a lake than a river with very little current. I anchor fish structure, with is usually trees, but drift fishing the main channel is good, but on the weekends you can really only do that after dark do to the boat traffic. I use shad for bait the rivers full of them, if you want blue gill fish the ox bows.

3. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the advice Kenny. Are there many blues caught between New Athens and Baldwin lake or do I need to go south towards the Mississippi river? The channel cat and flathead population in that area seems pretty healthy.

4. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I fish above new athen's at fayetville [and go up 5 to 10 mile's ]when I get down there....I allway's have my best luck when the river is between 413.00 to 418.00 ....if you go to the noaa weather site and look up river's it will give the river stage ... another word's ....half bank to bank full... when it get's below half bank we don't catch may fish...have caught flathead's up to 70 pound's and blues up to 58 pound's so when the river's up I know they come up in there....here's some from a couple year's ago...my buddy said I got my finger in the way on purpose....that was the 58 pound blue.... the flathead weighed 66...[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info Rex. It is much appreciated. Are you targeting structure, holes, or fishing the channel?

6. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    structure mainly....and once you get up there there is LOT'S of it...another reason to fish it when it up some...lot's of stumps and log's to grap at your boat motor's lower unit..

7. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    nice pics slick skin. my dad works with a guy who fishes your area very hard and he's been catchin tons of 40+ fish lately with the high water. Never tried up there myself cuz we always do pretty good south of baldwin.

8. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    my buddy's said they are catching lot's of fish...

9. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for everyone's info and help. I'm hoping to get over to the river in the next week or so to see if I can get on some fish. I think fishing an area with more structure would help me locate the fish more easily (like where Slick recommended). Just can't find many holes or structure in the channelized portion by New Athens. I've heard that the river is only channelized from Fayetteville south. Can anyone confirm this? Any tips on fishing the channelized portion would be very helpful. I've also thought about putting in as close to Carlyle spillway as possible and trying that area out. Anybody fish up there with much luck?

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Channeled areas a good for drifting in and yes there is good fishing all along the river, after the next round of STORMS and RAIN we are going to get be careful on that little river as it will be FLOODED I would imagine and it can be very dangerous as there is less room to maneuver to get out of the way or trees and junk.... Corp is supposed to start letting more out of Shelby this next few days to ease the last rain and what is to fall tomorrow and the next day........ So it will be flooded at best down here.

11. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    there was guy drown over there today while i was there and the river is to high to be out on ..I couldn't hardly find aplace to fish and was dam glad to get back to the boat ramp.[caught 9 small channel's]with rain moving in tomarrow and the next day I would put off fish there for aleast aweek if I could....it's not a good situation...

12. nexustom

nexustom New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cut shad for Channel cats and live baby bluegill for flat heads. The Kaskaskia is my favorite BIG catfish river. I've seen 50# plus flat heads come out of the river every time I've been there.

13. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tom, what stretch of river are you fishing?

14. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    talk to the boy's at Fayetville and they are going to try it Sat. night...river had come down over the weekend and now it's back up to bank full..they started releasing water at the tailwaters at Shelbyville to relive some of the flooding problem's we are all having up this way.....

15. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Slick, keep us posted on how the boys do on Saturday. I plan on heading there in a couple weeks.

16. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    we went over to shelbyville to fish above the lake and the state has all the boat ramp's closed ...:angry: aint heard from the boy's at faytetville yet....

17. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wondering if shad are easy to get around Fayetteville. I've never had a problem around New Athens.

18. freeburgtrapper

freeburgtrapper New Member

State:
    freeburg,illinois
    i think the river is still closed right now. havent seen anyone on it. buddy said they didnt have the thursday night bass tourny on it.

19. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I have a buddy that lives at freeburg.

20. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    did anybody fish up at fayeville lately or is it still too high