kaskaskia river PLz help

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is the river fisheable by bank or is the current to strong?Btw im going for blues

2. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    sure, just fish closer to shore.

3. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hey bud, i dont know where you are fishin at but i fish just north of lake shelbyville and have never really seen any GOOD fishin from the bank. i fish from a boat and do pretty good but i'm not sure of any good holes that are accessible by foot. also, i have never caught a blue in that area nor have my friends and we have caught hundreds of flattys. If you are fishing in that area i could only suggest fishin below shelbyville dam bacause i hear of guys catchin some monsters from time to time and its easily accessible. hope this helps, although i'm sure that i'm in a completely different part of the river haha.

4. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Ryan I fished fri.25th and the river was still afew feet up and running real good for the kaskaskia. Looking at rivergage.com I see the recent rain has brought the river back up to flood stage in redbud/wood duck where I put in at. Be sure to take a casting net the river is full of bait. I did alright fri. I drifted until dark and caught a couple, 1 nice 7# channel, then I achored near some snags and did good on the eaters 3 to 7#'s blues and channels, the rain pushed me under the bridge so i anchored there until it stopped about 3 long no bite hours,lol, all an all I caught 12 fish and kept 6.
    good luck and tell us how you did.

5. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I fish up in there too.all the way to cook's mill when the river's up and I can run wide open ..

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How far back up river to you have to go from nelson/fish hook before the river starts gettin back down? Is there anywhere to set in to drop trots or bank poles?

7. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    not many place's this year the bank's are under 10 or 12 foot of water..back up and no current.I don't know why they wont release some water..

8. foxkidd44

foxkidd44 New Member

State:
    shelbyville,illinois
    ryan, you can fish from the bank..............but you need a lot of weight...it sounds crazy..........but i bought some 4 oz steel washers and used 2 of them as weights....worked pretty good...i caught 2 8lb channels laST night using bluegills.

9. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    were you below the dam or up above?

10. foxkidd44

foxkidd44 New Member

State:
    shelbyville,illinois
    i was right in the spillway area.......between route 16 and the dam.........didn't do so hot tonite............couldn't get a bite for nothing.......i tried shad, cut shad, lil blugill,crawdad, leeches, dip bait., nightcrawlers ...didn't even get a peck..........last night i was catching channels pretty good using 3 inch blugills.

11. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish near new Athens and fayetville.and i don't have a boat either.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    fish thge shelbyvill dam with an 8 ounce weight casst up as far as you can to the dam, and use a jigging motion with a bluegill might try that tommarow

13. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    was the river up or down...

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    up