Kaskaskia River Fishing - Any catfishing advice you could share?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by USNTWEEK, Apr 8, 2009.

1. USNTWEEK

USNTWEEK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I moved to the area a year ago and was getting settled in so didnt get to do a lot of fishing. I am hoping to change that this year. I am looking to give the Kaskaskia a shot but wasnt real sure on any good spots. I am looking to put in at New Athens and head south (at least that is what they told me at the marina there). Other than that I am virgin to the river. Any advice would be appreciated. I have the Corps map but that pretty much just shows the main channel and the oxbows. Thanks in advance for any help:0a31:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome to the BOC.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shawn Welcome to the BOC. I have only fished the Kaskaskia one time and that has been a few years back. I'll let someone else answer your question because I"m out of touch there.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton IL. Good luck.

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    shawn welcome to the boc i would go north out of the marina and set up on the first creek channel close to the bridge pulled some decent flats out of the kas biggeast was 41lbs not a bad fish also try puttin in at fayetteville and headin north also but becarful the water can be skinny. their are some pretty deep holes upto 40 ft pulled some decent blues out of that area too :cool2: if u ever need a river buddy just give me a holla
    and dont worry about bait it will jump in ur boat :crazy:

6. USNTWEEK

USNTWEEK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I didn't make it to the Kaskaskia but I did get to Baldwin. Thanks for the useful info. When I get the boat out and fire it up for the season I will be sure and check out the river and see if any cats come my way. Baldwin was slow. I caught about 7 little channel cats and a couple of bluegill. I did hear some hootin and hollaring and from what someone had said a 40LB flat head was caught by the boat launch. At least someone had a good day. I wasn't skunked any way and hey it sure was a nice day to sit on the bank and just enjoy the spring weather.

Cheers:roll_eyes: