Kaskaskia River Boating?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ok im wondering what is the bare minimum size boat that you guys would have in the kaskaskia river when the current isnt to bad. My dad is looking for a used jon boat in the $100-$300 rang and i was just wondering what size i should be looking for because the river is where i will be fishing mostly. Also if anyone knows of or has a boat they wanna sell send me a pm about it and ill let you know

2. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    I frequently fish the Kaskaskia in a narrow 14 foot jon with a 10 horse. While I recommend something bigger, at least wider for stability, we do just fine. On a side note, I've never been out when the river is high so I can't comment on that. You could possibly find a 14 footer in that price range but if you can come up with the money, I'd opt for a 16' and as wide as you can get. You'll be happier in the long run. I know I'm always wishing my boater was wider and more stable. All in all, you'll get by with a small jon, just take it easy and don't plan standing up too much!

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    since you have a little less wind on the kaski, you can get by with a 14' that isnt so wide, but i would rather have a wide bottom just so i would feel more comfortable. when i had my skinny 14', just leaning over to open the cooler made it rock.

4. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A wide boat is a good investment (money,and saftey wise). You will have a hard time finding a "double wide" at that price,but saving a few bucks,won't be as good a deal,in the long run. Wide boats run in less water,have much more room,and are much safer in the long run. You won't be sorry,you spent the extra money! Ron

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    For sure a wide boat is what you need . A 14 foot river jon is about as small as I would go . Keep an eye on craigslist sometimes I see boats in your price range withput a trailer .

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    For reasons of Safety and Comfort I would suggest at least an 16" wide boat. Never take a shortcut on safety. Wind and current can change quickly and with a smaller boat you could find yourself in big trouble.

7. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I had a 16 foot flatback canoe that I put an old 30 horse 2 stroke on and that was AWESOME untill you tried to turn at any speed at all. That motor got ruined from sucking in a crapton of water when I flipped it over in Pana new lake. I was pulling my brother in a tube and tried to turn into my own wake to sharp and it just roled over and sunk. We were able to retrieve the thing though because the tube was still floating and tied to it LMAO!

I was like 17 years old and not to smart........ I wish I still had that motor!

(EDIT)

I forgot to mention that when taking off at full throtle I had to have my brother sit in the front or I would take in water in the back and start sinking AND the tiller HAD to be completely straight or it would fall over and roll. It was the funest ride ever and we had so much fun.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  8. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Personally, I wouldn't want to get on the Kask. with less than a 14 footer, but it isn't that big of a river and the current is manageable everytime I've been on it. If you are confident in your and your boats abilities then I would say a 10 or 12 foot jon would be ok, not ideal but ok. I've seen guys in 20+ foot ski boats that shouldn't have been allowed on the river. They were a danger to themselves and to others(especially to my fishing) and I would bet alcohol had a lot to do with it. It all depends on how you handle yourself and your boat. Take it easy and don't try to be superman and a canoe could be safe as any jon boat.
    I once saw a guy by the Alton lock and dam in what looked to be a 12 foot lake jon with a 20 horse on the back. He ran up and down the lock with his wife and then disappeared heading south. I on the other hand fish out of a 16 foot river jon and I don't think it's enough for a river as big as the Mississippi. I've never caught much wind on the Kask., which to me is a bigger concern than current. The way I look at it is, the wind can flip ya and turn the current into a concern, but as long as your boat is floating on top of it the current isn't a problem.
    Just be careful. Take it slow. And watch out for the drunken idiots that terrorize the area around New Athens.
    Chris