Kaskaskia flowing again, but for how long?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Flyingpig, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Looks like the Corps finally decided to open the Gates at the Dam on the Kaskaskia at Shelbyville, IL.

This is the first time since before spring that the gates have been opened up this far.

Date ----------Time ----Gage height, feet ----Stream-flow(ft³/s)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    12/15/2005 --- 08:00 --- 6.23 --------------- 32
    12/17/2005 ----13:00 ---10.55 ---------------1,350

2. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    I thought the COE opened the gates every year on December 15th for the annnual drawdown to winter pool.

3. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I heard they were going to do it earlier, but due to the lack of water is why they waited this year.

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    hey Charlie do you have a web site that shows the water stages and level of the kaskaskia. I have a friend that is looking for it. Thanks in advance

5. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Here's where I go to get my information; It's on the USGS' site for Real Time Data. All you have to do is click or hover on a dot and you can view the latest information for that guaging station.

USGS Real-Time Data Webpage

I'll have to look: I always just ask my Mom. (she works at Lithia Springs Marina)
    I've seen it, but I can't remember where it's at.

6. frog jr

frog jr New Member

State:
    illinois
    hi everyone this is my first post. i live here in carlyle and the river has been up the past two weeks. any one been catching fish?

7. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Not me, I haven't even seen the water in three months.

8. leprachaun7898

leprachaun7898 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey there! this is my first time on here found it by accident trying to find info about fishing this early for catfish. i was wondering if u guys know if they would be biting at shelbyville dam yet or no?

9. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I was down below the dam the other evening and didn't have any luck what so ever.
    Leprachaun welcome to the B.O.C...

10. leprachaun7898

State:
    illinois
    thanks flying pig! good to know u r on here alot, i used to work with u at IP in blanking. hope to see u on the water sometime

11. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I'm either on the river down by Cowden or below the dam on my nights off.
    Most likely be on the water and not on the bank more this year.
    Just about got the boat ready to go, as long as the river stays up long enough to use it.

12. leprachaun7898

State:
    illinois
    im hoping to do the same. im looking for a 14 to 16' jon boat that i can afford so i can be on the water also. u wouldnt know where i can find one at a reasonable price would ya?

13. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Let me ask around at work. I think there was a guy with a small fishing boat for sale, but I don't know what he was asking for it.

14. leprachaun7898

State:
    illinois
    k cool let me know what u hear? thanks for helping me!

15. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sorry to side-track topic, but when i picked up my rig used, I was using the on-line classifieds of bloomington panatgraph... that might be a little drive depending on where you live. I figured I'd drive about two hours to pick-up the boat, so I scoured all the classifieds ads for the major newpapers to find one... i scanned Bloomington, Rockford, Milwaukee, Madison WI, NW suburbs, and ended up driving down near Bloomington.

If I still lived in central IL, i'd be checking Shelbyville, Decatur, Springfield, Vandalia, Greenville, Litchfield, Carlinville, Edwardsville, Charleston, Mattoon, etc...

keep your eyes open, and hold out for what you want. I almost bought an ok boat that wasn't nearly as good...I waited and spent about $200 more to get a very nice early Smoker Craft that already had fish-finder, trolling motor, and larger and newer outboard. It's been a nice boat... :0a22:

Shawn

16. leprachaun7898

State:
    illinois
    cool thanks for the info. i do wait till a real good deal comes arround any way. im in blomington all the time so i will check there the next time i go there and all the places on the way. thanks that is a big help to me.