Karate Class

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by Believer, May 23, 2007.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Hi guys and gals!

I just wanted to share with you all that I was promoted to Sandan (3rd degree black belt) tonight! :big_smile:

God bless!

Eric

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    congratulations on your acheivments .
    so how long have you been in martial arts?
    i always wanted to take classes in something like that but
    just never did take or find the time i guess.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Eric,

We will start calling you Mr.Sir!

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've been at it (this time) since 95, but I originally started training back in high school in 83, but quit when I joined the Navy. I stopped and restarted several times after that and tried a few different styles, but ended up going back to my roots in Isshin Ryu, an Okinawan style.

I say if you want to try it then do it! You're never too old to start it. I'm going to be 41 and my instructor is 51. He still does the full splits too! :big_smile:

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Heck no, you've got a big gun, i'm going to call you sir! :tounge_out:

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck with your Karate brother, definatly have to have discipline.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Eric I hope you had better teachers that I had in the only Karate class I took.I had been in Jujitsue(I know I didn't spell it right but it's been 30 years)but my work moved me to another town and one Karate class was all there was.I had to go into this class a white belt and I could take the best in the class so I told him he was gona get some of these guys hurt if he didn't train them better.I tried to get him to try a match with me but he wouldn't and told me to get out of his class,I told him he was scared of me and called him a coward and all he said was get out.

P.S. I never earned a belt past white because my teacher said I had no selfcontrol because I was hurting guys in my class and I put him in a corner one day and if he hadn't been so good(3rd degree black) I would have hurt him.He said I got carryed away and had to take it easy and I told him there was no way you could have a match without running the cance of geting hurt,heck the frist match I had with someone better than me I was hit in the face by a wheel kick and knocked out cold.(after that no one hurt me again) Anyway he said I had a smart mouth and no self control and it was gona take me a long time and a lot of hard work to earn anything past a white belt and a year later I had to move and I was still a white belt.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    So thats what you have been doing in your spare time. And here I thought you had been fishing all that time.
    Congradulation on your new rank.

9. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congratulations, Eric... I think that's a great discipline and lifelong pursuit... so much more than just a hobby.
    Keep up the great work :lol:

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.

It sounds like you had a good instructor to me.
    Not only am I a student, but I am also an assistant instructor under my instructor in addition to having my own school & I can tell you that it is common practice to have someone start over as a white belt when switching styles.
    Regardless of your rank in one style or another, you still have to learn what is being taught in the new school.

Also, if someone comes in and starts throwing their weight around in class and
    telling me how to run my class you'd better believe he or she is either going to adjust their attitude or get out of my class.
    There's no room in a class for someone with a big ego. No matter how good you are or think you are, there's always someone better.
    And if you are better than someone else, it's ok to push them a little, but you still have to use a little control.

Eric

11. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    sounds to me your Sensei was right. You should take self defense classes to be able to defend yourself and your family, not to hurt the other students you train with. You take martial arts to avoid a confrontation not to initiate one. I have been taking karate kempo for the last 2 months and I have learned that. Seems like in all the time you trained you did not learn anything.

Remember the Karate Kid movie? see the diference between Daniel and the other kid, the bully. One is the right way to train and the other one is not. There is a diference between a Martial Artist and a Martialist, look it up.

Believer, congrats on your accomplishment.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Congratulations Eric. That 3rd degree black belt represents an unbelievable amount of work. You should be very proud.

Also, you are exactly right. Karate isn't about being tough and being able to whip everybody, it's about being able to control yourself and defend yourself. Plain & simple. BadKarma should've listened to his instructor a little better. If he'd pulled that at my karate school, he would've been shown the door or handed his head. I don't care who the heck you are, you don't pull that under a good teacher. I'd say it was a darn good thing that you were shown the door.... if you'd gotten tougher with the attitude you had, then you may've landed in jail or even on death row.

At the karate school I attended (waiting on shoulders to heal, or may have to get surgery) you can look around and see lots of extremely nice people. No bullies there. Don't confuse "nice" for weak though, these folks will stomp a mudhole in ya.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Congrats on the third degree black belt, that is impressive. The farthest I got in Tae Kwan Do (sp?) was brown but have always wanted to start up again.
    Have to agree with everyone else about Martial Arts being about avoiding fights instead of instigating them, now training in the UFC or Pride is a different story.

14. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I will respectfully dsagree with you here. I have been training in muay thai for about ten years now and we train to compete in the ring. sure it started out as a self defense style but has become a huge ringsport. being able to defend yourself is just an added bonus :smile2: but at the same time we are taught not to fight outside the ring and if you do both people have to be willing to compete. no sucker punches, no attacking someone who doesnt want to fight. and its kinda wierd because I am more scared of my trainer than I am of the police when its comes to the good ole bar fight. lol I dont want to be kicked out of my gym. master doesnt put up with that stuff :smile2:

15. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with him about. It doesn't sound to me like either of you are promoting starting fights or copping attitudes.
    It was an apparent bad attitude of another poster that he was responding to.
    I'm sure your instructor would have a real problem with you or someone else in his class throwing his weight around with the other students or telling him how to run his class. :big_smile:

I will disagree with you on one issue though. There is no such thing as a martial arts master. It drives me nuts when I hear someone talk about their "master". LOL The term master implies that one knows everything there is to know and that is not possible. The one that really gets me is when someone mentions their "grand master". If a master knows everything then what the heck is a grand master? :lol:

All that being said, I am a martial artist and I do have a master. His name is Jesus!

Eric

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Conrats Eric! That is awesome!:smile2:My 14 year old daughter got her black belt about 9 months ago and I know how hard she worked to achieve that goal. Your 3rd degree so you really worked hard!:cool2:

17. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    That's great! I don't know what % of students make it to black belt, but back in 99 when I got mine it was somewhere around 1 in 1000.
    What style does she take?

Eric

18. VideoGuy

VideoGuy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have been in Karate for about 6 months and can't even imagine being a solid color yet. Congrats on your 3rd degree. I study Bunkai Jutsu at rivervalleymartial arts.(Karate For Christ)