Kansas World Record Flathead

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Ace, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Caught by Ken Paulin in Elk City Reservoir may 14-1998 .
    123 lbs - 9ozs.
    Ace :0a18:

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Man !!!!! Now that's a Big Flattie, did he catch it on a rod n reel ?

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The story goes that that flathead was caught on a zebco 33 outfit with 12-lb test...But I have heard people say the fish was ill swiming in the shallows when caught.

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

flathunter.... you couldnt be more right

5. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anyone fished elk city res. before ? Is there alot of wisker fish there?

6. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    I Have Fished Elk City Plenty Of Times. If You Don't Have A Boat, The Outlet Channel Isn't Bad. Lots Of Gar And Drum Though. Best Bet Is Live Shad And Goldfish For Flathead. If You Don't Have Any Luck There, Go To The West Side To The Card Creek Area. Some Of The Water Is Pretty Shallow Though. But Still A Few Holes. Good Area To Set A Few Lines If All The Good Spots Aren't Taken As Usual. If Still No Luck Go Back Into Independence And Go To The Verdegris River City Dam. Some Monsters Have Been Pulled Out Of There In The Past. We Used To Set Lines About 2 Miles South Of There On About A 1/2 Mile Coverage In Both Directions. Some Friends Have Pulled Constant 50 To 70 Plus, And Even A Couple In The 90's.

7. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Hey bullfoot its just like catdaddy said at Elk City Lake I have fished all over that lake & there is some big flats in that lake on the south side of the outlet, but try as I mite I can not get them to bite. I`m not talking about 80 or 90 lb. flats I`m talking about big ones that will go way over 100lbs. I was over there fish ing once & was asked to take my hook out of the water because some divers were going down right there to look around & when they came up they said ther was some cats down there big enough to swallow a man. Now I figger that a cat is going to eat somtime in twenty four hours I fished four 36 hrs. straight I caught some flats but nothing even neer that size.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Earl , I bet those big boys eat once every few days. Probably one 10 lb fish or so. Who knows. Sure would be fun to fight one, and get the new world record. :)

9. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I think its time to take a fishing trip down to Elk Res. and some of the creeks.

chris

10. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Trust Me Guys, I Am From Independence/cherryvale. I Have Lived There My Entire Life, Until 2001 When I Moved To Wichita. Elk City Is Not That Great.yes, Its A Decent Sized Lake. But Not A Lot Of Access For A Shoreline Fisherman. True, A Few Good Catfish Have Been Caught From There. But Its More Like A Few And Far Between. As Far As Divers In The Outlet Goes - Not Likely. You Can Walk Though The Entire Thing And Maybe Get Water Above Your Head. Its Full Of Carp, Drum, And Gar. There Are A Few Nice Sized Channels And Some Small Flatheads. I Know Most Of The Guys That Fish It On A Regular Basis, And Last Year The Biggest Flathead That Was Pulled Out Of There, To The Best Of My Knowledge, Was 66lbs. Caught On A Live Shad By My Fater-in-law's Friend. If You Are Looking To Go There In Search Of A Trophy Fish, You Will Most Likely Be Disappointed. But There Is Alot Of Good Spots For Flathead All Over Montgomery County.

11. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    My friend I expect I have fished Elk as much as you have I used to fish it a lot before they built Big Hill lake & I still fish it some. I do not Know what the divers were looking for I just know what they said & I had no reason to dought them. I am not a lair.

12. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    what a fish that must have been