kansas upland bird hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by brad kilpatrick, Oct 5, 2005.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    with opening day in Kansas about a month and a half away I'm really gettin excited about the up coming season. I've talked with several western Kansans who inform me that there will be tons of bird this year. One guy told Me that He has seen chicks from three different hatches this year. I'm just curious about what some of you all have heard. Brad

2. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    I haven't talked to anyone but, read some reports in the paper that said the same thing. Also saw that Ks was 4th behind N. Dakota,Iowa,S. Dakota in pheasants harvested last yr. Can't wait for the season.

3. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    bruce, Yea I think it'll be a very good season. read an interview with an ks conservation officer that said last seasons harvest was 700000 bird he thought we could go over one million this season. good times man good times

4. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    All reports indicate that this will be the best year for pheasants in the past several years. The rains and weather all seemed to come at just the right times this year to produce a record hatch. Quail are looking pretty good too.

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Sounds like we've heard the same thing. I've got a buddie that works at cabela's in the gun section so he talks to hunters from all over the state. they all say that last year was good but, this year will be great. Can't hardly wait to load up the truck with dogs and shotguns and head west on I-70 for opening day. Last year I limited by 1:00 and was hunting with a large group 15-18 guys. I stopped counting My dogs points at around 25. bird numbers were definatley up from years past.

6. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    its just amazing how we have come from a few years ago and having terrible years, and now we are doing awesome, its great.

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    know what ya mean Brian, I started bird hunting only about 7-8 years ago. When i started We were in a upward trend as far as bird numbers go. My second season I bought a dog and then....POOF.....all the birds were gone. I had to resort to buying birds at the game farm to train My dog with, just couldn't find enough wild birds. I've seen a gradual increase in bird numbers over the last few seasons with last year much better then the previous one. I have high hopes for this year. We open the season in Mankato Ks. where do you plan on opening the season at???

8. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    If anyone is going to be around the Liberal, Ks area around Christmas i will most likely be there and going Walk in hunting. I'll go out every morning including Chrismas Day. I will travel up to an hour (maybe more) to hunt w/ someone else.

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I'll be their for the opener, will let you know how it goes.

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    gettin the truck loaded up. We leave for mankato at 9:00am tomorrow. can't wait to see the opening day crew, gonna have a party of about twenty guys this year. 40% chance of rain saturday morning so we'll probibly get wet hopefuly not to much though. I will post again on sun or mon and let you all know how it went. Please feel free to post the results of any upland hunt on this thread. hope to read some KILLER reports soon!!!! Hope everyone has a great opening weekend, good luck, and be safe!!!!

Brad

11. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    GONE HUNTING..........see ya all on sunday night!!!! good luck all

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    We ended up 1 bird shy of our limit for the 2 day weekend, had 15 hunters on Sat. and 13 on Sunday...............that equals 111 roosters for the weekend.

Will post some pic's. tomorrow. Had a great hunt :) .

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Well brad don't keep us waiting in suspense here! How did it go?

14. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    warm dry and windy (40mph gusts) made for a difficult opener in Mankato. Finaly did manage to limit but it took all day. added 1 more rooster on sunday could have had more but let some of the other guys shoot birds over My dog. Lots of birds up that way. here's some pics.

Attached Files:

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Couple of group pictures from this weekend. 59 on Saturday and 52 on Sunday.............in before noon on both days :D

Attached Files:

16. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Looks like you had some good shots w/ you. I hope you left some birds for me! I'm really itching but, gonna try to dear hunt this wknd here in Missouri this wknd.

17. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    think i'll try it again this weekend thinking about maybe northwest of junction city. anyone heard anything good or bad about that area?

18. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I used to live in clay center and down around the old broughton area used to be some real good pheasant hunting. heard that they turned it into a wet land area tho. You may want to try down around the arboritum @ wakefield.

19. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm not sure about the exact area your talkin' about but there is still some good habitat round and 'bout Clay Center, shot a few roosters there last year. hunting mostly walk in land, need to find more private land to hunt. Planing on knocking on some doors this weekend.

20. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Good luck to ya this weekend Brad. I'm going to go give it a try tommorow. There isn't really alot of birds around these parts. The state releases them three times a year at some state hunting areas. Tomm. is the last release. This will only be my second time out for pheasants. Didn't get anything the first time out but had a blast.