kansas turkey hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by zmoon, Jan 16, 2008.

1. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone hunt public ground for turkeys. I was in Manhattan over christmas and noticed some public ground around the area. I am looking at going back for turkey season this spring

2. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have hunted perry lake and bagged a bird every time I havent tried west of there for turkey but I am sure birds are there

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    There is a lot of public hunting at the north end of tuttle creek . plenty of turkeys up there. there also is walk in hunting , you just pickup a book at the baitshops to see where it is.

4. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Public is all I hunt and have never had a problem with getting a turkey. Those birds are very thick here in NE Kansas.:big_smile:

5. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thank you guys. have you ever had problems with running into other hunters?

6. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    There was this one time where I had been working on this tom for I say about ten minutes. He was getting closer and closer when he just stopped gobbling. I did not think anything about it because this as happened before but then I saw two guys walk right in front of me about thirty feet or so. I thought that maybe they just did not see my truck. So I decided to try another place. When I got to my truck I saw that their truck was parked right beside mine. I was pissed. But in my five years of turkey hunting that was the only incounter I have had.

7. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I will be on that hunt and i was wondering if many people hunt turkeys with bows in Ks.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have hunted the mined lands west of Columbus an had good luck. Pretty good chunk of public ground there. A small boat or canoe is very helpful hunting around those strip pits. good fishin in them also.

9. ARMYCATS

ARMYCATS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive hunted public land for turkey and deer quite a bit and have had only one problem with a bird watcher.... out near penalosa in kingman county there is alot of public land out there and the quality of birds is great

10. elklover1964

elklover1964 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ok.....it is time I start getting educated..
    What are the turkeys in Kansas? Just easterns? I would like to add another spiecies up on the wall where my eastern hangs.

11. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kansas has a mixed bag of turkeys. They have easterns and rio's which in some places have cross-bred, these hybrids are often called dirts. Also in the north western part of the state they have Meriam's. Not only does Kansas have alot of types of birds, but when you find birds, due to the condensed habitat, there is normally a large concentration of them in one area.

12. elklover1964

elklover1964 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you for the info zmoon.....I will have to look up the Kansas site and read up on non-resident regs and fees.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    That Mined Land Wildlife area (The "Strip Pits") is excellent hunting for turkey and deer.

There's over 15,000 acres to hunt or to fish.

The state of Kansas recently installed a rental log cabin on the large pit stocked with rainbow and brown trout. (The state record channel cat came from there was well...go figure...was caught on cut trout)

There's other rental cabins, guide services, and taxidermists that offer their services....along with Angelo's world famous "special" sandwiches...and authentic italian cuisine at Josies ristorante' in the nearby podunk town of Scammon, Ks.

There's also a world class sporting clays course out in the boonies....Claythorne Lodge. They have been hosting the National and the World cup events there...hauling in thousands of people from all over the world.

There's lots of peace and quiet...you can primitive camp on state land for free...some places even have outdoor restroom facilities.

Lots of places to choose from...you can pretty much count on having the woods to yourself as long as you scout...and make an effort to hunt more off the road. (No unauthorized vehicles allowed) You lose most of the lame "hunters" when you venture much further than 100 yards.

Not everybody is willing to brave the rugged hiking conditions...up and down hills (dumps)...navigating thick scrub brush and briars all the way...as well as thorns of every variety.

But in true fashion...the turkey and the deer are in there...IF you're willing to go above and beyond the average hunters effort.

The deer myth about Kansas...where the huge corn fed bucks are running around like bunny rabbits in every field simply isn't true.

You'll put your time in before you get a big boy around here off public lands...they're in there...but they didn't get that big by accident. :wink:

You're best off hunting public land that juts up to prime private property.

The turkey however??

To be quite honest...there just aren't that many turkey hunters here.

Don't get me wrong...there are some dedicated and very successful Tom hunters around these parts...and many more wannabes...throw in a few out of staters as well.

Somebody not from around here just doesn't have the advantage us locals do when it comes to knowing the country...it takes a long time to get familiar with this area.

We don't have the smartest birds on the continent...but we do have a BUNCH of them overall...and large numbers of BIG toms as well.

I know of three different flocks that number well over 100 birds apiece.

If you're bowhunting turkey here...you're definately in the minority.

If you ever get the opportunity to come here...and get to speak with a landowner...do your ABSOLUTE best to woo him out of letting you hunt his land.

The public land is outstanding...but the closely restricted PRIVATE property is what the Kansas legends are made of.

14. elklover1964

elklover1964 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Catcaller, thank you for the info....it was very helpful and I will keep every word in mind....I like this site. Everyone I have had contact with has been friendly and helpful. Thanks everyone....:big_smile:

15. Littlejack

Littlejack New Member

State:
    nc
    Last year I hunted down in the southern flint hills,in greenwood county.That was a real experiance for a eastern guy!

16. wielms6

wielms6 New Member

State:
    warrenton missouri
    Wanting to come to kansas on the 8th of april to hunt turkeys never been there know absolutly nothing about kansas except i hear there are a lot of birds not many hunters need a place to park a pop up camper and a place for 2-4 hunters depending on how many back out by then waited too long to plan this trip need all the help i can get probally east or north east kansas email please PM me