Kansas spillways

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by brian sax, Jun 14, 2006.

1. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    I was wondering what you guys think would be the best spillway to go to around here. I was thinking about clinton or hillsdale since they are close, yet i am very familiar with pomona. I was wondering how you guys would rank these. Are there a lot of people at hillsdale and clinton? I have heard there are some decent fish that come out the one at pomona.
    Ok, i have never fished one before, and would like to know how to go about fishing one. where would be a good spot to put my bait? How would i go about fishing for flatheads in there, or channels? Would i just stick to fishing live bait for flatheads and cut for channels? I am just looking for something else to do, i have never fished one and would like to know how. I would just like some general tips.

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

to be honest i cant think of one spillway in kansas that dont produce big cat,at one time the state recoed flathead came from the pomona spillway,clinton get big flats taken everytime the water rises,just wacth the water levels big cats will follow the current around and will come in high water and get stuck there when the water levels drop

3. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well to be honest with you brian i am gonna have to go with clinton. because in the past i know it was bad that i didnt do anything about it but barbel and i saw people snaggin for flatheads and they were pulling 60-70 pounders out of the spillway there :/ so i def. know there are biggins in there. so i suggest clinton i just dont suggest snaggin them lol

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Some good points (pomona, high water) I like pomona, some goood fish there dont forget melvern (maris de cygne) great water but a little further than pomona Im shure some big uns have gone up into pomonas spillway from mdc and gotten land locked, and john readmond fargon huge. hillsdale hasent ever been good to me and ive fished it alot I use to live 5 min away. I cant say anything about clinton never fished it.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I don't fish Ka,but been watching the spillway at smithville.The low rainfall this year means they won't be letting out any water in the near future.

There are about 10 of us regulars that fish it when letting water out.Use 1 oz. jigs and 5 inch curley tail grubs.It looks like snagging,but it ain't,very rarely does one get snagged,and is always released.The legal ones are photo captured,then released over on the lake side.We all recognize each other,and keep an eye out for snaggers.Rangers also patrol it regular.

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Cook, wish you boy's would come over to Clinton and teach some of that snagging scum some ethics!! Good on you:smile2: .

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Are you having problems with the snaggers again?! I thought the last time me and Cajun had the warden called on them, they would get the idea. Guess not :crazy:

8. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    UH OH SPAGHETTIO!!! :eek:oooh:

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Not now, waters not up and running. You all need to get up there after the sun goes down, that's when the "pro's" come out. Don't get me wrong, there are also a lot of legal fishermen up there also.

10. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Every time they let water out at El Dorado, the snaggers swarm the outlet. I can't ever recall our illustrious Rangers even checking on them. Everyone knows what they are doing and complaints fall on deaf ears. They say you have to catch them in the act. That's difficult to do when you are home in bed. I know they hit Toronto hard when they can keep an eye on the Game Warden over there. He is a little more motivated to stop it than the El Dorado heroes.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Barbel,no trouble this year,no water being let out.But.

If you let it out,they will come.

Kinda silly,once I was there,no cell phone.Guys snagging spoonbill.Drove to the Litton center,1/4 mile away...called 800 # on back of license,call went to Jeff city,then they had to call a agent in clay co.,etc......2 hours later ,no one had shown up by the time I left.

12. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    I've absolutely no respect for the game wardens in this state. Unless the case is handed to them on a platter they'd rather cite people for their "i's" not dotted or "t's" not crossed on their licenses.

I witnessed myself a game warden observe a family of orientals snagging everything from carp to crappie for 30 minutes. He then moved to the opposite side of the spillway from the snaggers and started checking licenses to the howls of everyone there. This was at Perry in the early 90's.

Game wardens ticketed the Topeka Zoo vet back in the 80's for poaching. His crime was to put down (with drugs) a wild whitetail deer that got tangled up in the Zoo chain link fence and broke both front legs. Fish and Game was called first but couldn't have an officer out until the next morning. When they showed 2 days later and found out the vet handled it they cited him. Judge threw it out before the prosecutors could present a case.

A local cop about 10 years ago was stopped by KDWP during bow season after filling his tag . The courthouse typo'd his name on his hunting/fishing license and didn't match the ones on his DL or his deer tag. They cited him. They also confiscated his deer and duty weapon which he is legally allowed to carry at all times. I heard the county attorney had a screaming match with the warden over attorney dismissing charges.

13. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    And people think I am crazy when I say we people that can think to be working as police officers/game wardens... There was an article in the newspaper not too long ago that said how the police force was turning down people for scoring too HIGH on their tests. They said it was to be 'an unsatisfying, and boring time for the people with higher scores.' Am I the only one concerned about this?

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Your first sentence tells me all I need to know Osage. I know several GW personally and find your whole first paragraph to be total bullshit. I bet you have enough respect for them that you have your i's dotted and your t's crossed!!

Barbel, so what?? If a person isn't mentally suited for their job and the performace of that job is compromised because of it then they should be screened. I bet theres more to the test than overall IQ. I've seen some pretty smart people do some pretty stupid things.

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Did the vet kill a deer without a legal tag.........yes or no?

Did the cop have a legal tag with his correct name on it.........yes or no?

I have no idea about the orientals but I know I've never walked a mile in his shoes when dealing with these people............I've watch the whole "no english" "no understand" bs.

17. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    I'm tryng to keep this friendly, but I really don't care how many GW's you know. I have plenty of friends who are great guys fishing and drinking beer with that are horse's asses where they work.

When I have to deal with GW's I keep it polite and professional just like I do with every cop.

No, the vet didn't. It's recognized that a licensed veterinarian employed by an accredited zoological park has the authority to treat any animal on the premises, including euthanasia. Although the animal was not in the zoo's collection it was still legal treatment.

Yes, the cop's tag was legal - His combination hunt/fish license had a typo.

Deliberately ignoring illegal activity because he don't speak the lingo don't wash.

18. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    well, is there any more info i can get about fishing spillways

19. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well yes, Charlie, this is true. If they aren't mentally suited for the job, then it is true that they should not get it. However, they were not given the job STRICTLY because they scored too high, making a horrible generalization about people, which I believe is wrong and a big flaw in the system.

I won't argue with you about the smart people doing stupid things, because I know several people that are considered intelligent, and they are absolute morons when it comes to common sense :lol:

P.S. Brian wants me to say that he messed up that last post and to disregard.

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I too am trying to keep this friendly, but I personally know several GW that don't fit your "sterotypical" lumping of GW's. That is the reason I called BS on your first paragraph, so yes it does matter how many GW I know.

I refuse to sterotype them all as not worthy of respect, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree:roll_eyes: .