Kansas river

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by smhmc6, Mar 7, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey, me and a few buddies are planning a fishing/camping trip on the Kansas river coming up in about a week. We thought it wouldn't be too hard to find a place, but it turns out we were wrong. We need some help to find a good area or good spot. We don't want to go too far from Topeka... we were thinking somewhere around the Perry lake area. I've got a little flat back canoe and a small trolling motor and we want to get on the river and set a couple of lines. Anyway, I guess I'm lookin for some help or advice on where to go. I've read alot of posts and you all have been very helpful to other people, but most locations given out are near the KC area. Thanks for your help.

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    By the way, I forgot to say that I'm new to the BOC. Also I did a little research tonight and I found this place that may be promising. Its part of the F.I.S.H. program of the kansas department of wildlife. It is just north of where shawnee, jefferson, and douglas counties all come together.... has anyone ever used that F.I.S.H. site? Is it any good? Thanks for the help

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I dont know of it, but I wouldnt mind trying it out with ya. Give me a shout whenever your ready.

k1978a@yahoo.com

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, my buddy who lives in Topeka went out to check out those F.I.S.H. sites for me since i'm 6 hours away at school. Turns out they don't allow camping, so we aren't sure what we are going to do. Back to square one. One things for sure... we'll be somwhere on the kansas river towards the end of next week. So if you are out there in that area, there's a good chance we'll run into each other somwhere on the river.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Steve.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Oh yeah I almost forgot , Welcome to the Brotherhood :cool2:

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    thanks guys, appreciate the welcome

8. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    welcome to the boc have a good one

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well I think we finally found the place we are going to go. I think we are going to put in under the bridge in Willard. Not sure if its good fishing that part of the river or this time of year yet... but hey, its worth a try right? I'm wondering, what bait do you suggest this time of year? I've heard alot of people talking about how they are feeding alot on the dead shad this time of year so thats what I was planning on using. I've got a cast net and I'm going to try and round up as much shad as I can... I also know a place close to home that I can get a bunch of blue gill. What would you guys go with this time of year?

10. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    gotta go with the shad

11. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I would go with the shad also but that is my favorite bait to.

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just a follow up to this and maybe a little advise (mostly for amatures like me and my friends). Me and my buddies drove out to Willard this weekend to put our little flat back canoe on the Kansas river. First of all, we got this location from the Friends of the Kaw website... turns out that the land ownership has changed and it is no longer public access (although the land owners were very nice and were going to let us put in here just this time). The other thing was that the river in the area is not deep at all (most of you probably know this, but all we had were arial photos and we knew it was wide and assumed it would be somewhat deep). Its only about 1 ft. deep and we couldn't even paddle. We tried for about a 1/4 mile thinking if we just kept going maybe we were just on a sunken sand bar or something and it would drop off eventually. We were wrong, man that must have been a funny sight for the locals driving over the bridge watching us, :embarassed: haha. So all that to say our Kansas River plans were a total bust. We ended up going to Tuttle in Manhattan and camped on some state wildlife area on an inlet river (I think it was fancy creek or something). Only caught a few small channels and one 4.5 pounder. Kind of dissapointing since we were wanting to catch some big blues out of the Kansas River. We probably should have gone to the Lawrence area but I didn't think our canoe would stand a chance if there was much of a current. We'll just have to go try out that area when we get us a good boat.:smile2: