Kansas river under 435

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie, the last couple of times we went to KC, which we did today, I noticed the continuing construction on the "riffle", what exactly are they doing, if you know? Are they going to make an overflow dam there or something. They've sure stopped the flow there building it up and putting in those pilings(?). Just curious, but that's what it appears like they have in mind. Thanks for any help.

2. j12goose

j12goose New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They are rebuilding that low water dike that pushes water to the South side of the river. The water dept. in-take is over there and you can see part of it from the bridge.

A couple of years ago, we had the river come up real quick. Well, there was a bunch of logs against the earthen dike that was there at the time. Between the water and the logs, the dike failed and they were unable to draw water from the Kaw. This is supposed to make for a more permanete dike.

By the way, it looks deep there by I-435...........it's not.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Flip, thanks for the info, that would explain those metal pilings they put in there, didn't really plan on fishing down there, to far for me to walk. Just curious what they were doing.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    during high water, you can make it all the way up to 435 from kaw point. the trip is about 19 miles. fishing at 435 is best in the spring (high water) or when the kaw makes a good jump and water is coming over the low head dam.