kansas river ramps ect...

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kscathunter, Dec 2, 2007.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I should have a boat ready to fish from next year so im asking around for info. I havent had a big boat on a big river so it should be a neet experance. ive had my oar powered john boat on smaller rivers and the big boat on a few lakes so i got some time on the water. the conserns and ???? i have are how safe are the boat ramps around...er not shure were i was thinking edwardsville and kaw point. and what would be the chances of traveling upstream from edwardsville ramp i hear its awefull shallow but their are some spots id like to check out. what do i need to keep my boat still would a concrete ancor work or am i gonna need something that will dig in.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    You should PM Brad Kilpatrick, he'll tell you all you need to know.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea i figured he'd chime in sooner or later. thanks

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    How big a boat are we talkin about?

Edwardsville IS Shallow, very shallow. I don't fish up there, My boat is too big. If I had a smaller boat with maybe 25hp max I might fish up there, but I like deeper water.

I'd launch from Kaw Point. and start out on the Kaw. Don't be intimidated its just like the MDC just bigger.

You'll need more anchor then you think, 30 lb river tri flute at least. The homemade lead anchors work the best. One thing for sure is sooner or later Your gonna lose Your anchor, so you might as well just make a couple out of lead. THey are a lot cheaper.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Im not sure on the length but its more of a lake boat than a river boat (fiberglass:embarassed:) 145hp in/out board 6pass i think, pretty big for shallow water. its been sitting for a few years sence my dad passed and moms not about to take it out. ive been wanting to get a boat on the river for a long time, tired of always lugging gear around chasin um up and down the bank and not always getting to fish wear or how i want. so mom offered to tag it and what not so i can use it. its not the best but i think it will be ok all it needs is a battery some flush mount rod holders im gonna make and some kind of ancor that ill have to make. i got some scrap stuff and a welder, im guessing from what your describing i need something like a weighted or lead filled pipe with fins. man i cant wait

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
  8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well looks like i might have to visit the tire guy again :sad2: the boss isnt always their neither is the lead :roll_eyes:usually takes a couple weeks a couple trips and a couple bucks to get a bucket. oh well at least i can get it:big_smile:

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    also do Yourself a favor and buy a nice thick anchor rode 7/16-5/8" this will make the job of pullin the anchor much easier then a little skinny rode

You can buy rope at lowes or home depot 100' for $20-$25

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If your going to make an anchor like that try flat hot roll metal. It works great depending on how heavy your boat is. When I had my 18' boat thats the style I used never failed me.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    WELL the place i usually get lead from has a new manager and he sounds like he'd still part with some but they have a different guy picking up lead for recycling not sure how that effects me. he also said the raised price of lead made it this way and now their stuff is costing more im assuming that means its gonna cost me more(he didnt say what HE wanted for a bucket):angry:,should have stocked up. D@^& environmentalist, doesent lead come from the ground? a while back a few people thought it be a good idea to eat paint and now the fisherman suffers:embarassed::sad2:. why cant they keep lead out of tasty stuff like paint and leave it to the tire guys and fishermen? just a heads up, might make anchors out of steel and save the lead for sinkers, and stock up while you can:roll_eyes:

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Lead prices have gone from about 20 cents a lb in 2002 to over $1.50 lb at one point in November. You can blame environmentalists, but world demand is what is driving prices and increasing competition for lead. They have to get all that lead to put in the toys from somewhere. Places like tire shops find themselves with people competing to buy the lead that they used to have trouble getting rid of.

Either way the result is the same. Lead is getting harder to get and costs more if you have to buy it.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    world demand for toys :smile2: ha. they arent letting anybody use lead. they yank anything off the shelf that contains lead and put warning labels on everything else (may contain lead). tire guys are gonna have nothing but fake lead before long. i got several tire weights out of the last bucket that dont melt, compaired to 1 or 2 a couple years ago.:sad2: i highly dought that the demand is beating out the supply, batterys,tire weights,fishing who else can use lead:confused2: guess ill drag the bottom next time i go to public fishing area to pass time.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, I figure they will focus on us fisherman one of these days and try to ban lead sinkers. Ever price out the cobalt ones? :0a5: It's something we will have to fight or pretty much give up on fishing the big rivers.

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    One word, CHINA. Thats your main reason for lead to go up. Heck for that matter it's the reason all metals is going up. It's the reason fewer and fewer new homes don't come with copper pipes anymore.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    anyone put in on the wakarusa (however you spell it) in de soto and followed it to the kaw? wondering if i can make it down it and how the kaw looks there.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

you mean the wakarusa ramp in eurdora?the wakarusea and kaw mearge right there in eudora, and yes i have been down it a million times. its pretty easy untill you get out in the kaw its gets shallow in a hurry

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i guess its eudora then i didnt drive and ive only been there once. their was a brush dump there by the ramp? we walked down the bank as far as we could and seen a couple of good looking spots that we couldnt fish from the bank. we were thinking of putting in a boat and cruising to the kaw to check it out so i thought id ask if i could get there first.