Kansas River fish safe to eat??

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by catman73, Jun 13, 2007.

1. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I was wondering if the fish caught from the Kaw in the Lawrence area are safe to eat. I have heard a lot here lately from co-workers about how polluted the stretch of river is from Lawrence to Eudora that it has me wondering. Does anyone have any good insight on this. They are still fun to catch even if not edible, but would be nice to stock the freezer too.

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    There is a Health Advisory out on that section of the Kaw.........PCB's.

I personally don't eat any of the fish I catch from the kaw, some do , I don't. Choice is always yours.

As far as filling the freezer goes, head for some flooded vegitation on Clinton with a good dipbait............freezer will fill pretty fast.

3. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    there use to be signs out between eudora and lawrence tellin ya not to eat it seems like the signs towards kc said something like 6oz a day I throw them all back i just like to fish and lay around on the water good luck

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  5. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Pesonally I don't care to eat any fish out of the entire river system. I can't understand how they can be safe to eat past the mouth of the wakarusa. Are they implying the fish below Bowerstock dam stay there?

6. skeetfever

skeetfever New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You look familiar Daddio. I think i have seen you at the fishin hole before.:big_smile::big_smile:

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    if yea ask me its kill em and grill em

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

been eating them for over 20 years i think they taste great

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I personaly would not eat any fish out of the MO or KS rivers.
    Lots of great places in KS to catch and eat eater size cats.
    The cleanest catfish I have ever caught were out of Gardner lake where you can really tare them up sometimes.

Olathe lake is my favorite place to catch eaters.

10. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Hey the way I look at it is the EPA says the fish have poison in them and those guys are alot smarter than me. You may be able to eat these fish for 30 or 40 years with no problems until some chemicals build up in your body and cause a problem. The bottom line is it's a personal choice. I choose to chew tobacco knowing full well it could cause cancer. I feel an adult can make their choice on the matter, however I don't think they should be fed to children. It's not worth the risk to feed a child something that has a possibility of harming them, especially when we have so many places to get safe fish here in Kansas.

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    You are aware of the old delco battery plant had dumped 60-70 tons of batteries somewhere under the old golf course.

And Gardner Lake some of the houses used to dump sewage in the lake.
    However they the city has informed me that the sewage does not dump in the lake anymore.

This is just what I have heard.