Kansas River Catfishing.

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by biglope, Aug 13, 2009.

1. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So I went out a couple of weeks ago and had a really good night out on the river. I have been out there a couple times and have not had great nights just ok ones.

But I caught 4 fish in an hour. 23, 13, 10, 6. It was a great night. However went out last week and the water seemed way down compared to what it has been and I did not even get a bite.

Does anyone know if Kansas River Fish are safe to eat.

2. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Hummm, I don't thinking eating the fish is a good idea. I don't know to tell you the truth.

3. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think it depends on where you are at. There are signs posted by Bowersock in Lawrence that say eating the fish from that area regularly could be a bad thing. It's kind of a crapshoot. I release most everything except for farm pond channels.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I wouldnt keep anything out of the river.
    Too late huh?:smile2:

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Let us know how long the Green Glow lasts. :smile2:

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    other than Lawrence to Eudora there aint nothin wrong with eatin fish from the Kaw. my grandaddy did, dad does, i do, my boys do. filled up the freezer in 2 weeks on Kaw flattys for a fish fry we about to have. my neighbors a few houses down say them flattys taste so clean. he's from CO and been eatin them clear water trout. other than what ive said, make yer own decision i reckin. you eat beef that has all sorts of steroids and other chemicals in it, same with chicken. if ya catch flattys 15 lb & under and channels & blues 10 lb & under get ahold of me and i'll take em.

7. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    it is posted on the kdwp website not to eat fish that come from the kaw. Dont remember where exactly, but it seemed to be west of Manhappenin and Lawrence.

8. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I talked to the Kansas Wildlife and game today... They stated that yes not to eat anything from bowerstock to Eudora. BUt that the mercury levels in the state of kansas are well below the national average. They said that there is a 1/1000 chance over 70 year span of recieving any sort of cancer from eating kansas river fish.

This means that 1 out of every 1000 people that eat fish everyday from the kansas river for 70 straight years will creat some sort of cancer.

9. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Also does anyone know where I can catch some bullheads near olathe/Gardner.

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    dont trust it !! release all fish back in the Kaw !! if ya eat it it will kill you !! :wink::roll_eyes:

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    They taste pretty good up this way...other that a little Atrazine wang from Tuttle:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I haven't noticed any "whang" up river on the Lower Big Blue. Course it's
    been many a year since my last pull on a jug of Atrazine. Might have just
    forgotten the taste, y'know? JJ, you scoundrel! Trying to scare folks off
    of keeping fish to eat. I wonder how many parts per million of mercury
    that is in your nervous system beings as you have been known to catch
    gar by diving in after them. That's not SEAL training, by the way...

13. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Just kiddin' Mike, they are delicious.:wink:

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    got me a 12 +/- & a 1 lbr last night floatin live gills under a Kat Bobber. the little one was just sooooo cute i tell ya :roll_eyes:

15. sportsmanfromkc

sportsmanfromkc New Member

State:
    kansas
    my uncle has a farm pond in edgerton that is loaded with bullhead. not sure how this p.m. thing works but send me one and i will be more than happy to take ya out there sometime.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    one would think being a few yards from the 435 trash DUMP/landfill? does that grose anyone else out i never see it mentioned:confused2::0a28::0a23::0a30::crazy:

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    im bout to cook up about 30 lbs of Kaw River flathead this evening. its goooooooood stuff !!

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    About what time would this be:wink::big_smile:

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats ok i think ill cook up some cats from a cleaner river tonight fish does sound good just not from the river next to the dump:crazy: