Kansas river boat ramps at E/W offramps on the turnpike

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Does anyone have any info about the facilities for camping at the North and South boat ramps that I can see when crossing the river at Lawrence? Is the water there deep enough for a Catoon? How far up and down the river would we be able to go? We're thinking of heading out that way for a weekend to camp and fish. Thanks for any info.

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim, I remember trying to do a little research on that area you are talking about. I don't know about water depth, but I seem to remember there being some primitive camping available. I think it is a city park... riverfront or something. In the spring time when I drove by there were a couple of rowing teams out there. I'll see if I can find a link and post it for you.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
  4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Steve, thank you very much for the link. We have to go to KC on the 6th, I'll stop by on our way back. Is that the boat ramp on the South or North side of I-70? The main thing is having a place to spend the night.:smile2:

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    When I drove by it, I seem to remember it being on the north. I would say that it is probably in that park if I were to guess.

By the way, I think there is a dam not too far down stream from that area. And I would find out about water depth around there from someone more knowledgeable then I am. One time me and the two yahoo's I fish with (you know who I'm talking about) planned a trip on the Kaw (this was west of Topeka) back in our canoe days... we got there and were ready to put in only to find out that the water was only about a foot deep! We stuck our paddles in the mud scraping bottom for about 300 yards, thinking we were just on a sandbar and we would eventually get off of it... never did. We couldn't believe it. I can only imagine the laughs we got of the local people crossing the bridge not too far away. What a horrible trip, needless to say we had to think of another place to go.

6. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Being curious, I looked at the area you mentioned.
    Haven't been there myself, but like you going over the bridge I've wondered.
    You can see a lot by doing the following:

1. First, go on-line to www.maps.google.com
    2. In the search box at the top, enter "200 Indiana, Lawrence, KS"
    3. Click the "search maps" button and it will come back and display a map of the area.
    4. In the upper right of the map itself, you can click on "Satellite" and get an actual photo of the area. Pretty cool stuff.
    5. In the upper left of the map you'll see an up and down slider with + at the top. clicking the + will zoom in and repaint the map. You can zoom in a lot.
    6. You can drag the map around to look further in any direction with your mouse. You just click in the map, hold the mouse button down, and pull the map like it was a piece of paper.

If you drag it down, you'll see I-70 is to the north, if you drag down and left, you'll eventually see the bridge into downtown, the dam, etc.

Hope this helps.:big_smile:

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    No camping in Riverfront or any Lawrence parks.

Riverfront is the gay pickup area in Lawrence.........it's a crying shame we have a park in Lawrence that I don't like taking my 11 year old son to. I made the mistake of using that ramp after dark a couple of summers ago.........it's plain wrong what they're letting happen in our public parks.

Rivers up, you can travel right now.............personally the idea of hanging up a pontoon boat on a snag or sandbar is very unappealing to me though.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would think you woould be better off putting the toon in at KC our water on the Kaw is a lot deeper then at lawrence.

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie 365, thanks for the info, I'd already checked it out last night, those are some pretty neat pics.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie and Brad, thanks for the info, reckon that trip's off.
    Brad, I'll get back with you about a possible camp/fishing trip closer to your area, thanks again.

11. ret.1stsgt

ret.1stsgt New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Hello trouper: Jim I do not get that far north, My wife is almost blind & someone needs to stay with her most of the time, they are going to operate on her eyes in late December & if everything goes OK maybe we can get together this spring I will let you know. till then take care. Just an ole retired 1st sgt. & a stump jumper

12. kctinner

kctinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was reading what Charlie said about Lawrence being the spot for gays,I noticed that this past summer the boat ramp at 291 by sugar creek was the same way whats up with that?

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Hey Top, sorry for not answering sooner, just got back from Arkansas today. We visited my son for on his birthday and also for Thanksgiving. I didn't have wireless there so I couldn't use my PC, tried to get on with his, couldn't remember my password:embarassed:
    I'll look forward to meeting you if and when you're able to make it. I wish your wife the best for a successful operation.