Kansas river access

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    What exit would I have to take to get to the campground(?) boat ramp that I seen today. I was traveling East (to KC) on I-70 when I looked up river, I seen an what looked like might be a launch area to the Southwest just as I was approaching the Lawrence exits. To the North was where the rocks (old dam?) is on the downriver side of I-70. I was just wondering if it would be worth while hauling the Catoon there to fish? Thanks for any help.

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

anyone know what happened to all the other threads under kansas rivers?

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Tom, go to the Kansas Rivers Talk main page, then look for the area that let's you set the search date(like for the beginning) that will pull up the old threads.

Jim, that would be river front ramp. You won't be running far in the catoon even with the water up like it is............real shallow above KPL and of course the dam sorta limits downstream ventures:roll_eyes:. If you ever want to play on the river around here just give me a shout, I'll top off the tank on my boat and you can take it for a trip. I can no longer get off work during the week, but you are more than welcome to use my boat if you want.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Dan, thanks for the info, I'll check those sites out. But after what Charlie said, I'll probably not haul the Catoon out there.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie, sure do appreciate your offer, I'd be afraid to take some one else's boat on some water I know nothing about. I'd rather bring the Toon and just fish in that general area.
    How far above is KPL, I'm totally unfamiliar with the river there, cept what I see when I drive across the bridge.
    Where would I leave I-70 to get there when traveling East?

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie, disregard my asking how to get there, just went to the sites Dan posted for me, all the directions are there. Thanks for the Help Dan.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

thanks charlie... how ya been?

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jim, I guess you need to get down here and learn the river a bit:big_smile:.

Tom, work, work, work............I took the postion of plant manager at the Kaw Water Treatment Plant 3 weeks ago and have been getting hammered with work. I'm a straight days guy now, first time the wife and myself have been on the same "shift" since we've been married(18 years)..........I like it!!

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

congrats!!! i am gald you are happy with it being happy with your job goes a long ways being happy in your life goes further. hope to get the time to hang out with ya at least once this summer.been on the kaw?flatheads are hoping right now.

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    No problem Jim if you get down there let me know how you did.

I might have to get the boat out and try it out next year. I just got a bigger boat and I'm planning on redoing it this winter, so if if you have any luck I might have to drag it over and give it a try.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Dan, when I ever get down there, and IF I ever get out, I'll let you know.:big_smile:

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    CHARLIE, how FAR UP THE RIVER IS KPL?????? pleeaasssee tell me, thank you.

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jim, no way it's more than a mile up from the ramp. There are 2 wing dams right across from KP&L, they divert flow towards KP&L's cooling water intakes, have had some good evenings catching channels up that way.

If you are serious about putting your boat on the river please give me some notice and I'll go do a depth check first. I have no idea what this past spring did to rearrange the sandbars, used to be you had to run the east side of the river up to the powerlines then cut to the west side if you wanted to avoid dragging your boat off shallow sand:angry:. Tuttle was releasing 8,000 cfs, that used to make it pretty easy running up in that area..........but be sure one of the lake is discharging some decent water before you put on.

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie, thanks. I'll sure check with you before we come out that way. It just looks "sooo good" along there, I've just always wanted to fish it.