Kansas River 7-7-09

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by 320hotrod, Jul 7, 2009.

1. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Just got back in from Kaw Point, nice solid 8 hours fishin. Tried the MO for a bit, but too much trash for night running, so started working up the Kaw bout sunset. Funny how when the MO is rising but the Kansas ain't how its calm as a lake up in there for a bit. Anyways, slowly fished up to Turkey Creek, spotlighted a fella bankfishing for a while before I even realized he was there, and that was after I had already anchored and cast out. So back down to before the 1st railroad bridge there and anchored by some pretty looking willow trees. Now it's bout 1:15 or so, had the lines out 5 minutes and hear what sounds like guns shots, just two, but before I can think about too long, I get a double hook up, one big rod one small rod. So gun shots on the back burner, I got fish to take care of! Small rod first, pb gar. Good size, but not my favorite in the dark. Toss it on hte floor and grab big rod; had 10-12# flat, Real fat, but didn't look real close to see if it was eggs or not cause there's a damn gar tearing up my stuff on the floor. So back to the water with both of them. BTW, first time ever caught flat on creek chub.
    So, all set again, 5 minutes again and hook another smaller flathead, maybe 3 lbs. Reeling him in and next rod starts bouncing, another flat. So I figure if that's what's biting, I'll switch to perch. Nothing for 20 minutes. Back to chubs, and flats starting hittin again. Caught 7 of those altogether in the 3-5 lb range before the big gar's little buddies caught wind of what was going on, then it was gar, gar, gar.....gar. So bout ready to move on when the small rod doubles over. Grab the rod and can feel the weight of a good fish. Took off for the middle of the river, did a 180 and back to the bank, down to the bottom, up to the top and flipped his tail a bit, and the whole time I'm getting all excited to get this thing in. Then it just came to the top and swam around and I'm thinkin there's something fishy (<---hah) going on. Grab the spotlight and get a good look a beaver with my hook in his ass and not too pleased about it. Needless to say he left with my rig and about 40 feet of line. After that for the rest of the night it was gar in the middle, gar at the bank, gar under the trees, gar gar everywhere. Gar on chubs, gar on perch, didn't try worms, but I bet I coulda caught a gar on those too. But still beats sittin at home.:big_smile:

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good story Brian.......At least you caught some flats before the gar invaded your waters.

The beaver story is some funny stuff.......

3. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Sounds like a fun night:smile2:

They love chubs....but so do the gar:sad2:

I have cleaned a bunch of gar, but never tried them for cut bait?? Are they worth trying??

I caught a couple mooneye last night at Milford, gonna try them this weekend on the river.

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    So I guess you heard the story from Jeff Foxworthy about the redneck
    that got one of his nipples bit off by a beaver since you cut your line
    rather than reeling the unfortunate mammal in. Shows some wisdom!

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like a good trip Brian. The gar do seem to find the bait before the cats, atleast this time of the year anyway.:embarassed::smile2:
    You are right though, it beats sittin at home.
    I caught a beaver on rod and reel last year. They put up a mean fight.:tounge_out::smile2:
    I hope I dont run into that one again.:crazy::0a6:
    Thanks for the laugh.:smile2:

6. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Good Story.I would have been on a gar killing spree.The beaver story is funny.

7. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    LoL Silly beaver's Sounds like you had a good night out on the Calm :wink:

Should of tried them worm's might of caught ur LiL buddy the riversucker :smile2:

8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good story! Thanks for the laugh...

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good story. 7 flatheads in one night is awesome not to much all those elusive gar! LOL And a beaver to top it off what a night! :smile2::big_smile:

10. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    "Good story. 7 flatheads in one night is awesome not to much all those elusive gar! LOL And a beaver to top it off what a night! :smile2::big_smile: "

I was actually after blues, but I'll take it when I can get it! Maybe next time I'll go fishing for gar and see what I end up with:smile2:! Just no mo beavers for me; can't be affording to cut 40 ft of PowerPro everytime

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yeah, that beaver on the side can get a little expensive later on.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey way to go on the flat's.

13. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Where've you been?:confused2:

14. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    congrats on a good night. Haven't caught a beaver on my rod yet, but did have one attack the boat. Can't imagine him being on my rod. :crazy:Congrats on the flats.

15. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Lets take a pole...when landing a beaver how many guys lip them and how many use a net?...:eek:oooh:

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i dive in and get em !! :eek:oooh::wink::smile2:

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've managed to release the one I've hooked with the hook and quite a bit of line still attached! LOL:eek:oooh: