Kansas Lake Maps - Your feedback would be appreciated !

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KBSJayhawk, Apr 17, 2009.

1. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We're working on a new fishing map product, and would like your feedback !

The ASTRA Program at the Kansas Biological Survey (http://www.kansaslakes.org) has been and is continuing to map Kansas lakes using a scientific sonar system. One of the spinoff products from the mapping could be a series of lake map showing the lake bottom contours / depth contours (No, we won't be selling these - Free digital distribution).

We've created a preliminary product, using Gardner Lake - and we'd like your feedback to make it better and more useful before we start producing maps for other lakes.

Click on this link to view it: http://www.kansaslakes.org/prelim/gardner_fishing_grid11.pdf

We need your feedback on the appearance and utility of the
    sample map. Any comments, positive, negative, and especially constructive, are welcomed. What do you like / don't you like about the map ? What should be changed ? Have we left things out that are important ?

Reply here on the forum, or email your comments to: astra@ku.edu

Thanks !
    Mark Jakubauskas
    ASTRA Program, Kansas Biological Survey

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Mark, Looking good! I like them Thanks:smile2::wink: I was wondering where you've been have not seen you around for a while. Keep up the good work

3. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Processing lake data ! :smile2:

Seriously, we have a whole bunch of lakes in progress, and about a dozen more slated for mapping this summer !

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey Mark , yeah its been awhile. Some fellas were trying to find you awhile back for some mappage. I like this Gardner map pretty well, with one exception. Where the number is showing the depth, Id like it if you guys would put the next depth up, all the way up, instead of just the deepest one in that area. On the whole map you have 7 marked depths. Id like to see alot more than that, so when we are looking at the map, we are not guessing what depth we are fishing, we take one look, and we know. Thanks alot Mark. You guys do a great service for Kansas Outdoors, keep up the good work. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK !!! :cool2:

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Oh yeah Mark, one other thing. Do you ever do any fishing? How bout catfishing? :cool2:

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Welcome back Mark!

I really like the map of the lake I do have to agree with Keith that having more depths marked would really make the maps a real hit. Even if the font size was kick down some so it would not be so cluttered. Another Idea would be to have the depths lines in different colors to help track then when you have several next to ech other and the the font could be in the same color to add in reading it. But over all I think it looks great.

7. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Finally getting back into it after having been away from fishing since I was a kid.... helping my 4-year-old catch a bluegill reminded me of how much fun it was/is. So yeah, I'm getting back into it. And I have access to the best lake maps in Kansas !

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Looking real good Mark...i would agree with the different colors.Would make it eaiser for us older guys with bad eye site.

You guys are doing some great work keep it up.

Let us know when you want to go out and catch a catfish.I bet you will have plenty of takers to show you a great time out on the waters.

Oh and bring your maps:wink:

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I wish there were more guys like you around making maps in my area. what you got looks awesome. In the marines, they would tell us the diddy "keep it simple stupid" [kiss] . However I wouldnt apply that here. I like to know as much about a lake or waterway as I can before I set out. Contours, stucture, channels, key gps locations, hazards etc. Anything that will aid in a safe and produtive trip is always cherished. keep up the good work. map guys are the heros of the well informed fisherman.

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    See 2 nice flats I'd like to drift for cat's and 4 area's I'd like to try for crappie.

Put those in the GPS(Garmin) and you'd have good idea of where to start your fishing day!!

11. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    I like it. I agree with the colored lines more #'s would make it cluttered. Now hurry up and make some for Millford, Tuttle, and Kanopolis.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, what Kevin said. The map looks great, I'd like to see one of Milford Lake too. As for the numbers, to many, it gets to crowded, all you have to do is count the grid lines and you know how deep you are from one that's marked:wink::smile2: Thanks again.

13. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    that map looks great. i would love to see one for john redmond. there is one deep hole out there i have been trying to find and that map would be nice.

14. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We'll get to work on that. We mapped John Redmond a couple years ago, and that is one shallow lake ! I think our deepest point was 12 feet - in a 9000-acre reservoir !

15. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I think its an awsome map. much better than my hotmaps, any way to put them on a GPS?

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That brings up a question I have had about that lake for sometime. Does anyone know how deep Redmond was when it was built? I have been out on it several times and to me it is just a marsh. It is crazy seeing a lake of that size and then getting out on it and only maxing out at 12ft.

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This is some really good info here.

18. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's always been pretty shallow...we have a pre-dam map of the area, and compared it to the current lake depth, and while the lake has silted up in many places, overall, it's just always been a shallow lake.

Now, the whole reason and purpose for our ASTRA Program is answering exactly that question for most of the lakes in the state - how deep are they, and how much have they silted up ? The Kansas Water Office is funding us as part of its Reservoir Sustainability Initiative, looking into why the reservoirs are silting in, how we can slow the process, and what effect the siltation has upon the lake.

19. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We'll see about that.... I know there are one or two private companies that are interested in using the data we've acquired to produce a GPS product, and we don't want to compete with them.

20. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Mark back when perry was built in the late 60's and I believe it started filling around 69-70.The north end where the river flows in there was depths of 15-20'..

Now there is no water over 8' deep north of the 92 bridge.

I would have to say it's because of the farming and the run off of the fields.

It changed the river channel and moved it clear to the south and made a mud bar that is at least 1/4 mile wide..

The silt is so bad that you can jam a pole in and not hit solid ground.

Use to be one of the best places on the lake to catch cats but they are not up there today like they were when it started silting in....