Kansas jug line laws

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by GrandpaGoneFishing, Apr 17, 2007.

1. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    KANSAS jug line laws, got to check those out. Not to mention throw nets and the such.
    Side note:
    I have adopted an old Cajun with a 40 Yamaha. Its got a carb leak and maybe a little more.
    I got the boat and some fishing know how, But Nothing in the motor head deal.
    If you might be interested or maybe know some one who might be, PM me.
    I'd like to get into tournament fishing. I got part of the needs just need the other half of the TEAM!
    you got a throw net that would help too!​

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I didnt think ks would allow jug line fishing only trot lines. The trot lines have to have no more than 25 hooks per line 2 lines per person. I have been known to be wrong before though.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Shawn,

You are correct, no jugs in Kansas, only limb lines and trotlines. I think the main reason is the lakes just aren't really big enough around here, you would have jugs floating around with people water skiing and jet skiing in the same areas, just not enough room.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Truman is huge and those damned jugs are *still* in everyone's way. Be glad you don't have to put up with them in KS.

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thats what I was thinking. wondered if there were any rules on private Ponds.

6. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    jugs are legale in kansas as long as that they have a weight on them,then they are considered a set line,then you are allowed 8 per person,checked once every 24 hours.as for privet ponds they can be free floating

7. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Good to know, Thanks!

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Not going top argue this because it's a very gray area in the reg's, but the e-mail I received from Pratt(regarding what is "anchored") said that anchored is "firmly attached to a tree, limb, or shore" IE, permanente. Private property is another matter.

Think I'll just be happy with trot's and limblines:big_smile: .

9. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas

I took one of my jugs to the regenal office in witchita,threw it on the desk and asked if it was legel to use,the conservation officer said it was,i wasnt going to argue,she had the gun!

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    It's not the jug that determines whether or not it is legal, it is the method of use.

Unless that bad boy is tied to something considered permanent, you will get in BIG trouble if you get caught on public waters doing it.

I would be very careful if I were you....:crazy:

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Missouri considers a jug line to be anchored if it has at least 2 lbs of weight tied to it. The reason for the distinction is that Missouri law requires you to have your free-floating jugs in sight at all times, but anchored jugs can be left for 24 hours.

I don't know how the Kansas law works, but if you can place a trotline using jugs and heavy anchors on the end, you can surely place a "1 hook" trotline the same way. If they won't allow trotlines that aren't attached to land (or a tree, etc.), then I wouldn't chance it.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I do remember when this came up a year or two back, and the response Charlie got from Pratt. It’s enough of a gray area that I would tread carefully unless I had some written correspondence from KDWP for support. I don’t claim to know the answer, but I’ve heard of conflicting “official” answers.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Marty, I thought the same dang thing when the sent me their definition of "anchored".................I've sure seen a lot of middle lake trotlines here in KS.

Reward just ain't worth the risk for me, I'm after groceries anyway and a couple of weekends of trotlining will fill the freezer..............did I mention I really don't care for frozen fish as much as fresh:big_smile:

14. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I agree with you guys. Me personally i have never seen jugs floating in the middle of the lake here in ks. I do mark my trot lines with floating juggs and the i also weight it down. I kind of helps set the hook a lil. As in letting juggs float in the lake i believe it is a not legal here in ks. The trot line are already tied off at a tree too.

15. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I've talked to 2 different oficials and got 2 different answers. Talk about unclear rules. They are not even sure. Guess it all depends on who sees you. It was suggested that they are tied off with light line, so it can break if it needs to. I was told to make sure if it broke to have some of the tie off line still attached to the jugs. going to try and get a written letter about this, so I can carry it with me. When and if I get it, I will post a photo of the letter.
    :boss: ​

16. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas

I was thinking about taking it back to the office with a picture and having it signed and badge number on the picture to prove thats what i took in and had varafied as legal.it bothers me in that you talk to 2 diffrent people and get 2 diffrent answers,if its not leagle why not just say it must be "ancored" to a permenant,nonmovable object.

17. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The bottom line is that if you follow the Kansas rules (if that's even possible) you aren't really jugging anyway, in my humble opinion. You are better off either setting a trotline or going to a state that isn't as screwed up as Kansas with their fish and game laws. They technically make something "legal" and then have it so screwed up with exceptions that all the fun is taken away from it. Their new rules for noodling are a preposterous joke. To really enjoy the jugging experience try going to Oklahoma. It isn't worth the hassle in this state.