Kansas Dept Wildlife proposed "bait" regulations

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by RPnKC, Aug 15, 2006.

1. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
  2. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    look at the idiot running the show, he didnt run the state very well as gov. so I dont expect much out of him

3. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sorry guys, I put it in the wrong topic category. If someone knows how, could you please ask a moderator to relocate this topic to the proper category.
    Thanks

4. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    thats pretty much what i thought the rules and regs were.i dont disagree with any thing they are trying to push in that article except the part about taking bait from one body of water to another but i do understand their theory behind it.just keep those zebras as far away and confined as possible.it did say any of the nucience fish that were caught could not be released alive ,so i guess that means they are legal to use for cutbait no matter the size?

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I read this to mean that I wouldn't be able to castnet shad from Olathe Lake, which is well under 500 surface acres... That would suck. The other hardships I see are the parts about not moving bait from one body of water to another, which I think they will find to be pretty difficult to enforce, and the part about not releasing the nuisance species alive, which does basically nothing to control their population and spread, and tends to promote leaving a pile of stinking rotting fish on the bank.

I appreciate what they are trying to accomplish, but I have to vote "no".

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Trust me, if you spent any time fishing Cheney Res. or Eldorado Lake, you would have much more appreciation for what they are trying to do. Cheney in particular. White perch have killed that lake, and if something is not done soon, like stocking more predator fish, they will destroy the lake all together.

The main thing I agree with is not moving live bait from one lake to another, but only certain species, not all bait. It would be awefully tough to enforce however.

7. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    No castnets is BS. How do you catch shad without a net? And WTH does surface acres have to do with anything?

8. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Guys I am trying to find a solution, at least a method of having our opinions heard. My only thoughts on the size requirements for waters in which a net can be used, would be the possibility of smaller lakes being over-harvested very quickly by fishermen that are proficient at acquiring large amounts of baitfish with a net.

9. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    Then possibly a limit on baitfish? When I go fishing, I catch 2-3 medium sized shad and I'm good to go. You can't run trot lines on small lakes around here anyway so there's no need to have a bucket full.

10. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Garbage. Thats what it is.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    garbage is rite, keeping my real opinion to my self. Ill still do what i do I cant remember the last time I've talked to a game warden let alone been checked out to see if i have a licens or am fishing leagle. I dont think Ive even seen a gw at any of my serious catting spots.

12. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I trid to read it but it said there was an error, so I have no idea what you guys are talking about lol... But it sounds like crap :big_smile: