kansas crappie

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by uttatoo, May 6, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    went out this afternoon with my family and we caught 8 crappie 12-14inches in length all together 12 lbs of fish pretty good
    would have caught more but only took 2dozen minnows
    next time i will take more

Attached Files:

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Nice looking mess of crappie you got.

3. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    WELL DONE!! I'll bring the beans.

4. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Way to go Gus, looks like a good time!

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice Crappie Gus. Where did you get them at?

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice Slabs Gus,and some good eating!!

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    kiowa sand pit here in great bend it is a private pit but i have a key to the gate and also on another note the shad are spawning caught about 30 12-14 inch shad today right in the grass and flooded part of the sand pit

8. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    should be spawning just about everywhere in Kansas now. I caught a 16.5" last Sunday at Melvern and a limit of 10" or better ones at Hillsdale Monday right on the bank. Probably had to catch 50 to get my 20 10" ones.I always seem to find the schools of 9 3/4 " crappies. Also I seem to be the master of the 17 7/8" Walleye. I work for the state so cheating is out of the question.We had a new lake that opened a couple of years ago....Kill Creek one summer according to my log book I caught 31 walleyes over a 2 month period not 1 18 inch legal fish in the whole lot of them. Now I can't find any let alone short ones.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Melvern and produce some big slabs over the yrs but a 16.5 is a hog anywhere.

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    its gonna be a sad day tomorrow. im breakin down and goin crappie fishin w/ my "brother" Gary and his dad at Banner. Gary thinks he's won but what he dont know is that im gonna use what i catch for cats !! :big_smile:

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    cant you use crappie for bait here in kansas as long as you catch em on a hook?

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Here is what the KDWP says,
    Any LEGALLY TAKEN wildlife may be used, including sportfish of legal length taken by hook and line.

13. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    hey thanks alot. i knew you could use crappie i just didnt know if you had to use a thrownet or pole, because ive heard you can only use em if ya catch em in a thrownet then ive heard you can only use em if ya catch em on a pole. wearabouts in kansas are ya?

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Wichita. I actually caught my first ever crappie last night. I was fishing a creek for bullheads and accidently caught a nice bait size one. Im gonna try him this weekend.

15. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Anybody know the deal on catching bluegill/sunfish with a net. I know the reg has the "any legal sportfish" rule as Kyle mentioned, but they also define sunfish as "bait fish". That statement specifically mentions sunfish, excluding black basses and crappie, that must be taken on rod and reel. According to the regs, "bait fish" can be caught by net. Here are the exerps out of the reg:

And the definition of bait fish:
    By reading this, i think all of the sunfish with the exception of black bass and crappie are fair game with a net. Am I on the right track?

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thats how I see it.I know on some smaller waters they dont allow cast nets but I am not sure where. From my understanding I would say that it is legal to catch green sunfish and bluegill with a cast net. I have never tried.I usually do really good with r&r. I have heard of throwing a bunch of crushed crackers out to bring them in so you can net them. I have never tried it.

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a nice looking mess of crappie right there looks like you had some luck, and caught some congrats on your catches, looks like you have enough to have you a good fish fry good luck on the rest of your fishing trips.