Kansas closed hog hunting

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by shooter, Nov 25, 2007.

1. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    I was at clinton lake on 21st of nov and saw 30 plus hogs on lake property/ Kdwp has had helicopter hunts and now have huge traps and the problem is getting worse as time goes by/ there have been hogs in douglas county long before the lake was put in( I and my uncle killed one over 30 yrs ago on what is now the lake)I just think the problem started when kdwp banned hog hunting and didn,t let hunters keep hogs under control/ they said they rid ft riley here in Ks. of hogs but last winter while pheasent hunting we saw three gilts with several babies cross the highway into army base' I love to hunt hogs and I think the state needs to get off the pot and let hunters control the population// shooter/Ned Colt/ lawrence Ks.

2. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Hogs are about the put me out of business, here in Texas. If the state tried to stop hog hunting here I think there would be a war, farmers against the state. I do not care where they are, if I see one I am going to try to kill it. I have been farming for 25 years and have never come across a problem like these hogs. Something drastic needs to be done but as always out politicians are sitting on there A__ doing nothing but tiring to figure out how to make money off the hogs. They have passed a law that you need a hunting license to hunt hogs, have you ever such B.S. They would love to regulate them so they could write fines. I hope they invade the governor’s home and destroy his wife’s lawn along with the senators and congressional representatives’ lawns.

3. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Jstall,
    Any chance you need some help getting rid of some hogs? I have a 30 caliber solution to your problem. I'd be more than happy to fix you some New Mexico style green pork chile.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Wild Hogs have been reported in (The Land Between the Lakes) here in western Kentucky. We have the go ahead to shoot on site. I think you have to have a current hunting Liscense. They dont want them here. I think they said someone released them on the sly. I would like to tag a biggun.

5. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    I think they should change the law to you must shoot if you see one/ also teagarden who is over the livestock comm. (yea hogs are considered livestock)the man who masterminded (joke) this stupid law ( $1,000.00 fine for posession of feral swine) should step down in disgrace and beg for all license holders forgiveness, Ned Colt

6. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    You would come all the way from TN. to hunt hogs here?

7. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. Though I'd throw my two cents in! They say there are 2 kinds of ranches here in Texas, on WITH hogs and one about GET hogs. I could not agree more. I was raised in ne tex. in Red River County and there were hog on the Sulphur and Red River since the forties.
    I LOVE to hunt them and eat the sows and younger boars up to about 125 pounds. But.. I also undrstand they have to be kept in check through hunting, trapping and hunting with dogs. They WILL NOT be completly eradicated, no way! On the intelegence chart, swine are just below the apes. I know from personal experience just how smart they are. I've taken 3 porkers, now in my freezer, and the freezer of buddies), in the past two weeks. Love them or hate them, we've got them and they are here to stay. The above mentioned methods are the only way to keep their numbers in check. Governmental policies will come and go, money in states such as Kansas will be spent to exterminate them but, in the end, the hogs will win. So... Let's load up and get some pork in the freezer! We've got lemons (hogs).... LET'S MAKE LEMONADE (sausage)!!!!!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I recently got a subscription to Extreme predator magizine ,last month there was an article on hogs as the new predator/vermin. Seems that whearever they are they reproduce quickly ,take care of them now or pay someone to do it later.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i went deer hunting yesterday and found a big wallow. it may be somewhere i bowhunt next summer, it's just a 6 mile hike to get there! cattle won't drink out of this because it's full of urine. you can see the tint there. this will only get bigger as time goes on, and if yall aren't allowed to shoot them in kansas, you can look forward to beautiful sites like these too...

Attached Files:

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Jordan, I'd be willing to bet that you could slip up to that wallow during the evenings in the summertime & stick a hog just nearly everytime you tried it.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i guarantee it jerrod, they are just a little more nocturnal right now because it's public land and deer season has been going on for a couple of months. as a matter of fact, this is not too far from where you are running dogs for hogs. if i remember right you hunt over by memphis right? the whole area is full of them, as you well know. i might get above this wallow with a spotlight sometime this summer, and do em in with the sks!

12. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I would love to hunt hogs, with a bow or a gun either one. I have never actually hunted them but i have shot them while they were trying to get into the pen with other hogs that we were around. Yes Jstall I would travel from missouri to take care of some hogs for you, or anybody for that matter. Just let me know!!!

13. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    Jordan is right about cattle or anything else touching that water hole/ it seems like where the hogs are the deer are depleting/I am not seeing the tree rubs or scrapes in the areas hogs are in/dont know how Luke down in texas handles the problems but would like more info on things to come in the way of trying to farm with hogs running on property. Ned Colt

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well ned you have to kill every dang one you see. we used to spotlight the peanuts at night and kill the heck out of em. the problem with them being so thick is you can shoot up one herd and that same night another herd is ransacking the field. then you have property all around the affected area that no one does anything about the hogs, and they use that property as a bedding area and refuge, then raid crops from there. once you shoot up a particular herd they will move out to other parts, but there are always more coming to take their place. they are extremely good at what they do, that's for sure!

15. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas

I could lend a hand and have a buddy or two that would also. If you are interested.

16. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Here in Florida they are considered livestock belonging to whoever's property they are on. IE: your farm, your hogs !! Wanna shoot'em' do it.Wanna let your friends shoot'em, do it. We catch a few every year with dogs, pen'em up, fatten'em up, in the early winter, hang'em up in the smoke house...

17. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Jstall,

I'm a school teacher and have a bit of free time in the summer. I've been playing with the idea of taking a prarie dog hunting trip out west and I might be able to swing by and shoot some hogs too.

Heck, judging by the enthusiasm from some of the other folks on this thread, maybe we could organize a catfishing/pig shooting/barbeque weekend.