Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been reading discussions on this site for a while now, and finally decided to create an account and become part of the discussions. Relatively new fisherman and boat owner here; so go easy on me haha!

Anyone in the Kansas City Area (Missouri Side) know some good places to catch shad for catfishing? I live very close to Lake Jacomo and Blue Springs Lake, but bank access is extremely limited at both of these lakes, and I can't find a good place to catch bait with my net! Blue Springs Marina does not allow throwing a cast net and the Lake Jacomo Marina wants to charge $5 to throw from the marina. I have caught some smaller 2-3 inch shad from my boat in Blue Springs Lake, but I have my boat put away for winter so I can only throw from the bank right now, and that area isn't accessible from the bank. Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Premium Member
Hi J and welcome to the USCA forum. I'll tell the folks to go easy on you but their hands still smell like spoiled liver and stink bait. lol

Cn't help on your shad question but any concrete ramp could be productive because the shad like the algae the grows on it. Any bridge pillars especially the concrete ones may work for the same reason.

If that fails cut bluegill also works so break out the little hooks.

That is all I can offer.

Good Luck

Reactions: Jschro

Registered
You could head up route 291 and try the Missouri river. There is no guarantee you will find them this time of year. Late May and June the shad are far more abundant.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could head up route 291 and try the Missouri river. There is no guarantee you will find them this time of year. Late May and June the shad are far more abundant.
Recommend a place? There are only a few publicly accessible areas in the KC Area that I know about with boat ramps etc, and the current always looks really fast.

Premium Member
J, if your not used to fast current or are not an experienced boat operator, give that some serious thought. The Missouri River is one to be very cautious on. Talk to some of the regular folks that go out in that area if you can.

Registered
Concrete ramps in morning may be best bet without a boat. There is also less chance of getting your net hung at ramps than unknown locations.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So throw the net right where the ramp would be underwater? That's only a couple feet of water usually right? Shad gonna be there this time of year when the water is cold?

Registered
I went to UCM for school so I lived in warrensburg for a while. I duck hunted and fished occasionally on the mo river. Usually not all the way up by KC as higginsville and waverly were the ramps I could get to the quickest. But not much different up there. The river can be swift, but I would recommend getting used to operating your boat and launching on the river. Get used to launching it on lakes and such first, and then branch out to the river. Some big fish are in the ole mo river. I never hooked into any big ones while I was in that area, but knew guys that did. Winter time getting shad the key is finding a warm water discharge from a power plant or some other industrial place. I didn't catfish much in the winter there since I'm into duck hunting and deer hunting that took over my outdoor time by the time the water was cold. You can still get big cats in cold water. My biggest cat came from james river in february, granted that isn't the mo river, but none the less big fish still can be boated in cold temps. If you start going on the river more asian carp can be good at times. Nothing to finding them just motor around in slack water area behind wing dikes or creek inlets one will jump in at some point. Those same areas in the summer can be good for shad.

Premium Member
ferdthe4 gave some good advice there. If a person wants to get some boaters upset with him, tie the ramp up doing things that should have been done elsewhere. For those new to boating it isn't a bad idea to make a written list of things that need to be done before you get on the actual ramp. Things like tie down straps and of course the plug. And there always seems to be things in the truck that you need in the boat. Anyway, get these things done before you get around the ramp. It is always good to leave that winch strap hooked up until you are in position for the boat to slide into the water. A simple list will help you get a system down pat and keep you from forgetting things.

Then when you come in to load up. Learn to get your boat out of the water and off the ramp as quickly as you can. No shortcuts but know exactly what you need to do to safely move the boat out of the way. Once out of the way you will have all the time you want to get things put away.

Finally, don't be afraid to be a ways away from the ramp when getting your boat ready to launch and when putting away gear after a day on the water. Folks need room to maneuver their vehicles and boats so give them as much as you can.

Launching in a river can be a lot different than launching in the still water of a lake. What you do is almost exactly the same but it will add more stress by moving the boat more. The more you have your system down pat the more relaxed you will be when launching in a moving river.

tight lines

Reactions: Jschro

Registered
Here in Oregon no one I know of use's a cast net to get bait. Live fish bait isn't legal. Haven't been fishing channel cats long but fished bull heads a lot. Used beef liver and did well. Tried chicken liver on channels and it works fine but hard to keep on a hook. Recently read to sprinkle some brown sugar on them and it tuffens them up well. Of course there's those stink baits and commercial dough balls. Never tried stink bait but never done any good wit those dough balls, never buy them again. I've tried cutting up some smaller trash fish I've caught but nothing on them My son got in a sucker one time and used the gut's out of it to catch a nice cat. Out here crappie guts are pretty well though of. My favorite bait has been chicken breast soaked in a bit of olive oil, kool aide and garlic powder. I'd read to put water in it to but found the water swelled it up to much and didn't stay on the hook as well. Point is id you can't get shad, try something else! Don't know about catching them in the cold weather, around here cold means freezing and below. Got down in the 40's at night here and the river I fish in the cats simply shut down! Keep thinking of trying some more soon anyway but not real sure it will do any good. Gonna try anyway just for the heck of it!

Registered
Hey J!
Welcome to KC!. yes, you can catch shad off the Jacomo and Blue springs wooden decks off the boat ramps at night- more in the spring and summer- haven't cast net for shad the last 4 weeks or so. Cast net behind the spillway at Blue springs any time of the year- lots of asian carp there though. Also try the spillway between Jacomo and Blue springs when the water's running. Blue springs and Jacomo has a lot of big flathead and nice channels. I have a small boat on Blue springs but took it on the mighty mo several times this summer and had no issues-does take some practice, extra anchors and gas! MO

Registered
When did Jacomo start letting people use a casting net at the Marina, both never use to allow it.
But at night I would go to the main boat ramp and with the lights the shad would be all over.
The south boat ramp this was not allowed, now I didn't fish this last summer there.
But I do use a boat too. But again I have in the past just went down and used a net on the big concrete dock and the wooded dock at the main ramp. But stayed away from the marina.

Registered
They don't at the marina at Jacomo, but have had no issues and watched others cast net off the boat ramp decks at both lakes. I cast net at the marina at blue springs at night and specifically asked the night manager and he had no problem with it- doing it from the boat though so that may make a difference. I've not tried the south ramps at Jacomo at all, but will next year. Are you in KC?

Registered
Steven from Georgia
Welcome to the board,

I dont know if this applys that far north.

In lakes around here:
After the water gets so cold. The shad will go up shallow. I have found them at certain times of the year right on the bank where the sun shines all afternoon. Im talking in a foot or less of water. I think there just sitting there as the sun warms that really shallow water to a degree or two warmer than the deeper water.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When did Jacomo start letting people use a casting net at the Marina, both never use to allow it.
But at night I would go to the main boat ramp and with the lights the shad would be all over.
The south boat ramp this was not allowed, now I didn't fish this last summer there.
But I do use a boat too. But again I have in the past just went down and used a net on the big concrete dock and the wooded dock at the main ramp. But stayed away from the marina.
You have luck with the net at night this time of year? I called both marinas and asked about throwing a net from the docks. Blue Springs Marina said no not allowed, and Jacomo said sure, but it's $5 bucks a day. Jacomo south boat ramp has signs that say no cast netting. I've also put my boat away for winter, so having to try to catch bait and catfish from the shore. I have not had luck catching either on Blue Springs Lake or Jacomo as the shore access to both is extremely limited, and extremely fished.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts