Kansas boating permit help

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Ryan11r, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    I just had a 10 foot flat bottom boat gave to me. I have a bill of sale for it. I cant tell who made this thing I cant find a id number. What will I need to do to get this boat on the water. I have a small trolling motor that I paln to put on this thing. I dont plan to use this boat alot but from time to time when the wind isnt bad on the small Harvey county lake and maybe a few other places. So I dont want to spend a lot of money getting permits. Any help on this would be great. Thanks alot Ryan Penner

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Some states will issue a number to a boat so it can be registered if they are able to make usre it is not stolen. If you are unable to find where a plate might have been you may check and see if your state will do this. If it had a plate and it is gone, you may be out of luck.

3. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well first you need to get the insurance thing figured out with someone, and then figure out the property tax payment thing. but you dont have to get a boating permit, unless you do something really stupid like getting someone hooked in the temple of there head like my dad did:tounge_out: but im pretty sure thats all you need to worry about. good luck and good night

4. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ryan,
    I believe by state law the boat has to be registered if you plan on using it on state owned waters.
    Registration fees are a fixed cost regardless of the value of the boat. $31.00 for 3 years as I recall. They will issue you a "KA-###-##" that you must by display on both sides of the boat. You will also receive color coded "year" dated stickers that are to be displayed with your boat ID. These stickers display the year of expiration for registration with the state. The certificate of registration needs to be in the boat with you whenever you are on the water, don't get caught without it or you'll be fined when caught.
    Personal Property Tax is handled through the County in which you reside. These fees are billed and collected annually and are based on their idea of the value of the craft and fuel propelled, horsepower rated, engine. The trolling motor does not apply. Check with your courthouse to determine what information you need to provide them, and they should also be able to estimate your annual personal property tax.
    I must add that a PFD(personal floatation device) is/are required to be accessable to every passenger in the boat. I was caught without mine in the boat last Easter, $135.00 fine!!!!
    License plates are not required on the trailer for my 14' boat, I do not know if they are required for any boat in KS, ie longer lengths.
    I am not required by Kansas Law to have insurance on my boat.
    Good luck and enjoy fishing in your new boat!

5. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I think Rick has you covered...

6. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    Thanks guys Thats what I needed