Kansas Annual Mega Gathering Ideas / Suggestions

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Dsage, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thought I would start a new thread so not over load the other one that can be used for camp site info and reservations.

I know that last years event was great, but I think that maybe we should get some ideas on what you would like to see or might like to change. Feel free to put out an idea small or large. Lets make this event be something to talk about for years.

2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Well for a start, I'm going to make it to this one, when we got together at El Dorado i got a lesson on throwing a cast net from some experts, maybe some other newbies (me included) could get together with the old pro,s and discuss how they rig for differnt types of catfishing, drifting, or bobber fishing , ect. nothing formal just a quetion and answer session.

3. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Oh yes I forgot, lets invite the bunch from nebraska to come and maybe challenge them to a fish off

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Dan good idea on getting this site started.And thanks to Jim for getting us all started in thinking about the 2010 gathering.

1st it going to be hard to top this yrs gathering.Going to be hard to beat.But I bet we can make it better if we try.

I know for me the highlight of the gathering was giving the gifts out to the kids.I cant believe how many pitched in to give something to them.It was a BIG hit with the kids and I think all of us as well.So I would to see this happen again.

What I think we can improve on is people making the committ on if they are attending or not a little sooner.I know that can be hard for some but we are planning far in advance to where if your coming you should be able to say at least a month in advance.

I think we had around 100 of us attend and we were close to running out of food/meat for the group dinner.

The group dinner is a highlight of the gathering where everyone gets together to fine food and BS'ing.So to make it easier on everyone I think we need to focus a little more on the menu and get committments from everyone attending what they will be bringing.Meat is where we were lacking at the last one so maybe this time we can guess what we will need and get everyone to say what they can bring.

I see no problem with cooks and cookers seems to alwas be plenty just need to fill them up with-out just a few bringing the meats.

A fish catching event is alwas fun and we gave a good gift for the big fish at the last one.So again whould like to see this happen again also.

Guys I cant wait for this gathering to be here again.It's a highlight of my year.So for anyone out there that has not been to a kansas gathering better start planning on this one."You wont regret it..""

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    My thought was to maybe start collecting funds for the dinner now. That way we could get the meat and also get a better price on it. The old man has offered his service to smoking and prep of the meat for the event. Also maybe we could put togather groups to handle different things for the event. I know most are spread out over the State but IM and Cells are great things and can work for something like this. Maybe have a Food group, Entertainment group, and what ever we seem to need. I think things might flow better and come mesh if if did the group thing. I like the idea of maybe a how to time, maybe some things we could cover are, Using a throw net, Gen. reel maintance/repair, sonar how to, Tips and tricks on different fishing methods. Just some things off the top of my head.

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I agree with Tom about the highlight being the kids activities. Anything we do to expand on them is bound to be fun. I was thinking a few door prizes for the adults could be fun too. Maybe someone can come up with some donations from bait shops, or boat shops, or sporting goods stores.....
    Having everyone put their name in a jar for a drawing, would also be a good way to get a head count.
    I like the "How To" idea too. We may have to expand this to an entire WEEK. :wink:

Dan, thank you, and your dad for stepping up, and helping with the cooking duties. The more people that get involved with any of the chores, makes everything more enjoyable for everyone.

Aint no reason why this can't get bigger, and better every year.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Like the new idea's dan. All I would suggest is if your going to have multiple events make a flyer with the times and what campsite they are going to be at. Probably give the flyer to the head people that you check in with and see if they will hand them out as people come in to camp. Could also post it on the site in case someone can only come out for a couple hours.
    I know we like going with the flow, but when you get large groups together its flows better if things have a schedule, even if its a loose schedule.
    Someone last year made a paper with everyones campsite. That was really nice, would like to have something like that again.

I have about 40-50 pounds of pork shoulder that the wife has been on me to use up because we need the freezer space. I'll donate it if someone will hold it in their freezer till the gathering.

8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Also let me suggest this. While I do love the smoked meats (some of the best in the nation IMO) we are a group of catfisherman, and a good ole fashioned fish fry would be great.

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    If any one doesn't have room to store it for very long, but lives close to Casey, but somewhat West, so we could some how relay it here, I'd have room for it, it's just a matter of getting it here(?)

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Aint no reason we couldn't have both.
    If you can't tell by lookn at me, the one thing I do really well is EAT.:roll_eyes:
    I don't mind mixing my food.:wink::smile2:

Just don't count on me to supply any fish.:embarassed:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  11. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I need to make it to one of the Kansas gatherings

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Forgot to add to the the list of how to/seminar's how about a how to on making Smoked Catfish (aka catfish jerky) (maybe he can not see this small of type and color.) :smile2:

13. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

We could do the fish fry friday night and potluck with meat saturday night. How much fish could a person eat (average person). I know with meat you figure 1/4 pound for every person.

Maybe have 10 guys get 5 pounds of fish each.

14. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Me and Ray have to eat:smile2::smile2:So i dont see no reason why we cant have fish one night and red meat the next night:big_smile::big_smile:

I can bring 5-10lbs of fish for the fry and also bring some pork butt & sausage for the grill/smoker.

And yes a BIG thanks to Dan's Dad for offering to help with the grilling/smoking.I hear he know what he's doing.:wink::cool2:

16. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Fish and Meat sounds good to me.
    We will bring whatever is needed, maybe some fish too, if I get a chance to go somewhere where I can keep em.:embarassed:
    Lookin forward to trying some Sage BBQ.:big_smile:
    We will bring something for another kids giveaway too.
    I like the idea of adding some new things, I just dont want the load to bear on only a few people. I will help wherever I can.
    Its gonna be bigger and better than ever. I cant wait.

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    My guess for this years attendence is 125-150 Man/Women/Child.And I guess about 15 for out of state memebers...What's your guess??

Better bring the wide lenses for the group pictures.

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I'd be more than happy to provide every one with the COMMON ingredients:wink: and equipment necessary to accomplish your suggestion Dan:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2:

19. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    My guess is around 100-120 people all together and about 5-10 out of staters.
    Thats the count before the BBQ. For some reason the numbers seem to spike around that time.:eek:oooh:
    Where did all these people come from?:smile2:

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Let me guess catfish and for equipment a rod and reel.:smile2: