Kankakee River?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by leutherv, Jun 22, 2008.

1. leutherv

leutherv New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know the Kankakee river is a bit high right know. I've been fishing it on and off since I was a kid. Never had a lot of success but alway had fun fishing there. It's always an adventure. I've caught one 4lb channel cat last year west of the Desplaines conservation area boat ramp fishing along shore. I've always heard there are flatheads in this section of the river below Wilmington dam. Anybody have any good hotspots on this river. I pretty much have fished all sections of this river. It's just that any success has been rather limited. Wouldn't even mind meeting with someone for a trip.

Thanks,
    Donald

2. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea ive hurd and seen pics in the bait shops in wilmington of huge flatheads caught below the dam. Ive only fished a few miles up the dam..got some average channels, a few big ones, and some bullheads. Seems like slow fishing though

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been wanting to fish that stretch of river myself for a few years now. I just dont know my way around enough. I've trained a lot in chicago. I live about 130 miles south of chicago. but i drive over the river and right by des plaines conservation area and wilmington a lot. I just never brought my poles and tried it out. I'd still be willing to try it though. It's a nice river, and if there's a dam of some kind. I'm sure the flathead are there. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone knows it chimes in...

4. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If ya need someone to fish with lemme know and we can try to get them flatties by the dam