Kankakee river

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by leutherv, Jul 2, 2007.

1. leutherv

leutherv New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got out last week Thursday evening, and fished Des Plaines conservation from shore just west of the boat launch. I caught 1 4 1/2 lb channel cat using chicken liver and Sonny's super sticky regular formula on a looper rig. First decent cat I've caught out of the Kankakee. I'm concentrating my efforts on the stretch between the Wilmington dam, and the Illinois river. I've been told that there are flat heads in this stretch coming up out of the Illinois. The Kankakee is also known for big channel cats. I'm looking forward to trying live creek chubs, and gills for bait in this area. And see if I can entice one into hitting. Anybody else out there fish the Kankakee. I could always use a few tips.

2. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    bump

Are there flatheads in this river?????

any info helps. thanks

3. leutherv

leutherv New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes there are Flatheads in the Kankakee river. Mostly the section from Wilmington dam to were it runs into the Des Plaines river. I haven't caught one yet but I do know they are there. I suspect not many people are targeting them in this section of the river. This would also suggest that there are Flatheads also in the Des Plaines river itself. These areas are either not being targeted for Flatheads, or the people who are, are keeping their mouths shut.

4. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know there out there round the dam in wilmington, ive seen pics of em in the baitshops..some real big ones. Ive only fished the dam once though, i wish that park was open all night for us catfish guys:sad2:

5. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    Where is there a boat ramp near the wilmington dam?

also i fish near warner bridge access, do you guys think they are up that far?

6. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im not sure where the public boat launches are, but you can use ours. Like I said were a few miles up the river on lake street. I fish right off the shore on my property and thats where I get all my cats lol. You can get near the dam on a boat though...above it your just asking for disaster, below it its to shallow

7. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    is the water deeper and more boat friendly after the dam. i'll i need is some log jams and there will be flatheads around.

8. kyleh

kyleh New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had some success floating burger under a burger under a bobber. Caught a 14.5 lber last year and a 12 lber last weekend.

9. leutherv

leutherv New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Des Plaines Conservation area off I-55 has a public boat launch but you have to be out by 10pm. However there is also camping there. I'm sure there is away around if someone wanted to fish all night. Put up a pup tent and park youre rig by it. I don't know how far east you can go before it gets too shallow. But west you can go to the Des Plaines river. And there log jams and such through there and plenty of deep water. Lot of pleasure boaters use the area but that usually winds down by dark.

Donald