Kanawha River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by hunterhnc20, Jul 7, 2009.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Does anyone know how to or know where to look for shad on the Kanawha River besides at the locks and at outlets? Im talking about being out in a boat and locating them?

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    hunter, I fish the K. quite a bit up to past Leon and usually see a lot of shad in the mouth of creeks, also there are a couple rock bars that I fish a few miles upriver from Point Pleasant that seem to hold a lot of shad. So you may try the creek mouths.As for Skip Jack, well, I don't use tham so can't help you there. However a friend I fish with buys them at a bait store in Columbus. So you may check your local bait stores, they may carry them. BTW, the K is hot right now. I fished it last night and got a couple and several good runs(report posted on Ohio board).
    Do you know how far downstream is blocked to boat fishing at Winfield. Like you said in another post, I can't afford a fine like that neither.
    good luck
    John

3. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Hey John, as far as I know boat fishing is still allowed up to the bouys in the water at winfield locks like usually.
    I believe I know the rocks you are talking about up from Pt. Pleasant. I have only fished down there once, but Ill be fishing a tournament at Pt. in about 3 weeks. We have a tournament this Saturday at Buffalo ramp if your interested. Do you see the shad at the top of water or you just throw your net hoping they are there.

4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hunter, I hardly ever use shad (Bluegill & creek chub are my bait of choice) but the ones I see will be breaking water sometimes what looks like 50 or so will break water at same time near where I am anchored, Yesterday evening something was really working them hard for several times they exploded. I will be fishing up that way again over week end and will shoot you some GPS #'s of a couple of my spots if you want.

5. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    you can find alot of shad around the island at the old carbide plant in south charlston. Thats were i been getting mine 6"to8" been cathing alot there lately. what time does the tourny start next Sat.:wink:

6. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Hey Chris, thanks for the information. Ill check tomorrow for our next tournament but I know its not until September because the club voted for that. They said that July was a slow fishing time plus all the boat traffic but Ill post the rest of the tournaments tomorrow. The next one is at Pt. Pleasant.

7. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    Thanks man I just live in Poca. I flathead fish the kanw. alot

8. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Hey Chris, I just moved from Buffalo up to Black Betsy about a month ago. The next tournament is at Pt. Pleasant on August 15 then September 12 at Raymond City. Both of them start at 8 pm and end at 2 am.