Kanawha River Fishing anybody?

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by WestVaMan, May 28, 2008.

1. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    Ill be visiting my home state from July 1-15. I want to catch some cats, anybody down?

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey there is one guy on here that fishes that river alot if i was you I would get up with him his name is Jerry on here, he should be able to help ya out he fishes that river and lives close to it.

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Thanks Matt

I would be up for a little fishing just PM me here and we can swap phone #'s when the time nears.I mainly fish on the river above Marmet Locks but I could travel downstream a little.

4. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    Thanks guys. My WV homes back porch overlooks the Kanawha. I got a dock about a mile upstream form the nitro/st albans bridge just yards from my house. I would like to fish the locks though. Ill send you a pm when i start the 11 hour drive home.

5. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

State:
    W.va
    I show jerrry every thing he know lol:0a22:

6. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    st. albans or nitro side been fishing there for years close to the same area and all around there shad are not running at roadside yet and they are getting ready to get riverfest together there hollar at me if i have time i will see if i can go

7. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I live in buffalo, putnam county and fish mainly below the winfield locks toward pt. pleasant. You got to have some shad thats the only thing ive been catching them on. They were running good last week at the locks but have moved out. Ive been catching the cats on cut shad and thats it. They arent even hitting bluegills which is strange. There has been alot of big smallmouth and strips getting caught at the locks. I have caught a few catfish there this year. If your just wanting to caught some fish i would suggest the locks and have alot of fresh shiners or small shad.

8. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    2 weeks and Ill be on the great Kanawha, cant wait...

9. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    Got some family stuff going on today. Looks like it will have to be Monday or later.

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Thats cool man.I was up until 4 am this morning putting in a water tank so my wife could have a shower this morning lol.

Rechargable saws are nifty but go dead when you need them most :angry:

Just give me a call when you get a chance.I work from 8am to 4 pm but from 4 pm on I can fish all I want but with my 2 tagalongs.

11. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    im going to the lake here in nitro and catch some bluegill. (no shad around here :( the day after i will be heading to the locks. prolly be there around 2 or so. maybe see you there?

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Wich locks? Winfield is to far until Friday Marmet I can probably get to.Would be around 5 pm or so before I can do much of anything.

13. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    oops... ill be at the marmet locks around 2 on wednesday. all i got for bait will be some gill.

14. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Cool as long as these storms dont hit again tomorrow I think I can make it down to Marmet if I do I should be able to catch some shad there,also there should be some skipjacks around the locks somewhere.

They built a new fishing structure down by the wall below the locks last year it looks realy promising.

15. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    well that didnt work out for us. soon as it started looking bad we split. weather looks better for this weekend but the river is up about a foot in a half down here.

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Water isnt up much on my side of the locks but it is a tad muddy.I am hoping to get some fishing in tomorrow around dark till about 11 or so.

17. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    me and a friend are heading up to marmet shortly.

18. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    got skunked. nobody at the locks caught anything all afternoon. Going to try to hit it sunday if the weather is good. The lady at the bait store said the stripers were hitting, had some nice pics of walleye stripes and flats.

19. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Went tonight and the shad were all over the place with skipjacks and gar chasing them all over but not much action as far as catfish go.

Hopefully I can hit the water before dark tomorrow but most likely it will be around 9 pm.

20. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    sounds good, my brother in law and myself will try to make it up there. id be happy with a gar about now. you use a cast net for the skips?