Kanawha River Drowning ?

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by Slatebar, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Does anyone have any updates on the beachball drowning incident last week on the Kanawha ? has the body been recovered?

2. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    MARMET, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The search and recovery process for a possible drowning victim has been called-off.
    Crews had been out since Thursday afternoon looking for the victim in the Rush Creek area of the Kanawha River.
    [​IMG] A family spotted the person swimming with a beach ball. The ball was located, however, the person was not.
    A spokesperson with the Marmet Fire Department tells WSAZ.com that the search Friday lasted from 10a.m. to 2p.m..
    A dive team was out for about three hours searching. When that turned-up nothing, crews dragged the river. The spokesperson says crews used all of their resouces but were not able to recover a body.
    There are no more searches planned at this time.
    Crews also say as of 9 a.m. Friday there were no missing person reports filed with Metro 911.
    According to the spokesperson the information they recieved from the family out on the river Thursday was credible.
    Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for updates.
    MARMET, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Emergency crews are back out on the Kanawha River looking for a swimmer who apparently went under the water and didn't come back up.
    Crews were on the river around 10:00 a.m. Friday after they had a short media briefing.
    A family was out fishing when they saw a man in his 20s floating on a beach ball. The man asked the family how deep the river was in the area and then moved on. That's when the family lost sight of him.
    This all happened Thursday afternoon near Rush Creek.
    Crews will be out searching until 2:00 p.m. Friday. Right now, all river traffic is closed from Marmet Locks and Dam.
    So far, law enforcement tells WSAZ.com no missing person reports have been filed.

3. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My son was down at Kanawha falls and apparently a boat turned over with four people in it. Three made it to shore. A 17 year old boy didn't.
    My son was bank fishing at the time and was able to pull one of the men from the water.
    I hadn't heard anything about the incident at Marmet.
    The body of the 17 year old was recovered near Falls view shortly after the search resumed after the severe storms we had shortly after the incident.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Oh man,Thats bad, I hadn't heard of that accident. Use to be a lot of drownings in that area. I haven't fished there in probably 35 years or longer. Is the old schoolbus still on that island above the falls?

5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Actually......it's just a rock in the river, but the bus is still there and that old fella has turned that place into a regular vacation camp. He finally got a deed to the place from the State a couple years ago.

I keep hearing that area is super shallow, but I can't seem to find anyone who can positively confirm it. I'd like to try my boat there and since the Gauley River dumps in right there it doesn't make sense to me that it would be all that shallow. They still use the power station at the dam and you'd think that would maintain enough turbulence to at least keep a decent channel open. I've heard tails of monster cats in that area.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the update, Cecil. I have found this thread very interesting. I remember traveling Route 60 on the way to Kenova several times a year throughout my childhood to visit grandparents. I always loved that stretch along the river (I always dreamed of living in that bus on the rock, too!).

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What a tragedy...when you stop respecting the river it'll take ya. :sad2:

8. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    double tap

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Cecil. I lived and worked in Logan/Mingo Counties for several years and would fish the fall often. We were fishing there one morning just at the crack of dawn, I was fishing the area nearest where the water swirls and heads down river and caught the largest Walleye of my life. (and I have fished Erie for Walleye for a lot of years). I have seen several Shovlehead in the 20-30 lb range come out of there but have never been lucky enough to land a bigger one tho I am sure they are in there. We would camp there and fish during the night and Squirrell hunt during the day. Life was good:smile2: and I am thankful for those days

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    exactly my thoughts.... i had a close call fly fishing in PA a few years back and let me tell ya that is a scary thing to have happen.

im sorry to hear about the recent tragedies.