Kanawha River Catfish

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by BigRoo, Aug 23, 2009.

1. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Anyone catching any cats on the Kanawha? If so what kind? Night or day? Bait type? :confused2:

2. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    Ihave been catching a few most were caught on bluegills & shad.Fished down below buffalo monday night the bite was real slow but the river was dropping & the water was muddy we caught 1 all weve caught have been flatheads but thats what we target big bait!

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I haven't been lately but I can tell you with all honesty 90% of my catches come during daylight hours or within 2 hours of sundown.

This time of year I like morning best.

4. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    I hit The Kanawa in a little town called Black Betsy and caught 5 from 6 to 28 lbs all on bluegills sunday night. The bigger the bluegill the better, and remember if ya have the option use 2 flat teardeop no snag sinkers instead of one big one. If ya need 4 oz to hold the bait down use 2 flat no snags cause they clang together lik:crazy:e wind chimes and up your chance of your bait getting noticed when its struggeling on the bottom.

5. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Does the Kanawha run past Pleasant Point? A guy I work with has a place down there and asked me to see how the fishing was down there. I'd appreciate any advice you guys have for him.

Andy

6. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    The Kanawha runs into the Ohio River at Pt. Pleasant. When u cross over the bridge u can see where they come together.

7. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Thank you. I realized later that I got the name backwards. Could you tell me some general spots in that area that might produce some good flathead fishing? Do you get blues up that far? He also wondered if there were any good sauger/walleye spots. Any advice or tips you could offer would be appreciated.

Andy

8. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I have no idea about that. I have never fished down that way. Get on the Ohio Fishing and ask the same question there. There are some guys that talk about the gallipolis pool often on there. Good Luck Fishn

9. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    If you are unfamiliar with an area try the mouth of the Kanawha or any feeder creeks. Great place to start.

10. Jason Legg

Jason Legg New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    We have been catching alot of cats ranging from 15-30 pounds in the st.albans area.

Jason Legg

11. drummer

drummer New Member

State:
    wv
    I've been catching a few up to 21lb my dad caught one 41.75lb a few weeks ago. but the bite has slowed down alot this week. are they spawning?

12. justinvaughttattoos

justinvaughttattoos New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    the way the weather has been, im betting they are either in spawn or about to go down... i caught a 16 lber yesterday at around 5 pm.... ive caught 8 or 10 flats this year. all on bluegill or shad.

13. drummer

drummer New Member

State:
    wv
    Live Shad or cut?