Kanawha or Ohio River Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by bigbengal, Jun 25, 2008.

1. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    I am thinking about taking a trip north for a night of Catfishing. I have fished the Ohio river before in the Huntington area but that is a 2 hour drive from home. Does any one know of any good spots on the Kanawha? I can be in Charleston in around an hour so this would be a lot closer trip if anyone knows some good spots to catch some big cats. I have heard below the locks are good but to be honest I don't even know where the locs are at on the Kanawha. I will be fishing from the bank and probably planning of on a Wed or Thurs trip next week so let me know.

God bless

Pete

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Never tried the Kanawha but if you take a trip to Kenova, WV and fish at Virginia Point, thats where the Big Sandy dumps into the OH thats a great place. You can set up and fish all night there, either on the OH, on the Big Sandy or right where they meet. You should do good. It'll probably be slow because of the spawn but I know of some huge ones pulled out of that area. Everybody that I know that fishes there CPR's so I know their still there.
    Good Luck wherever you go!!!:wink::big_smile::cool2:
    Also, its all good bank fishing there, thats all we do and do good.

3. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    hey big what locks u wantin to fish?? winfield or marmet?

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Personaly I would stay away from the locks if your looking for big fish.I would try around any feeder streams public boat launches and any gravel or sandy point you can find and get to.

IMO the locks are mostly for bass and smaller channel cats with Winfield being the better for catfish.

5. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    Not sure littlecat. I know the marmet and winfield locks are in the the Charleston area but I have never fished the kanawha before and would really like to fish some where with some big fish.

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Drop me a message the day before you go I will drop you some specific info and if you would like I could maybe meet up with you.There is an awesome sandbar/creekmouth within sight of the capitol that has some big fish.I have personaly caught and seen caught many fish in the 30 lb range.Also gar in the 40-50 inch range are caught at times.

7. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    I will do that Jerry, that sounds awesome.

8. adamnmisty

adamnmisty New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    I WAS WONDERING WHERE THIS PLACE IS? My fiance' works in charleston and we love to fish... i think im asking you thi in the right place lol.. thanxs Adam

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    It is near the Verizon building on the Kanawha City side of Charleston.That whole stretch of river is awesome from the Levee to the 35th street Bridge.Also near the bridges parts of the river flows in reverse due to the very large eddies formed by the pilings.

10. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    Is there parking in the area? Can you park near the verison building? I am going to probably come up on Wednesday after work and may stay over and fish thursday too if they are hitting. I have a friend who has an apartment in C-town for college and he said we can crash at his place during the day. I really appreciate the help.

PEte

11. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Yeah the places I go to have good parking.The 1 next to the dock just up river from it you can actually drive to the waters edge and park.Just make sure your way out of the boating area.

12. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks Jerry I really appreciate the help.