kahle vs. circle

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jasonminitruck, Dec 14, 2008.

1. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Was wondering which hook is prefered the circle hooks or kahle hooks I use a circle hook curently, but have found a great deal on the kahles 100 for $6.00 that i may try. I just don't know much about the Kahle, and would like to know more about them before i buy them.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use Gamakatsu 8.0 Octopus circles, exclusively, with a 90+% hookup ratio. That said, kahles are great hooks that give you an option to set the hook, or not set the hook. Whatever you get used to, but you can't go wrong with either choice.
    Bill in SC

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    In my opinion great hook for anchor fishing and I know a lt of people who also use them drifting and walking baits but I still use circle for that most of the time and Kahles exclusively for anchoring.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like the 9/0 King Kahles for all my catfishing needs. They are a great hook.:big_smile:

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    both are great for catfishing i use both still today but 80 % of my fishing is done with circles.

if im using a baitclicker i like to use kahles and when using a slip bobber . or want to switch things up and walk a bait and set the hook in current , or bottom bouncing in current .

if im tight lining, drifting lakes or spider rigging for cats i use circles .

i say buy them for that price and see what you think of them . for large baits i would use 7/o to 10 /o for blues and flatheads . and channel cats 2/o to 5/o

circle hooks i use 8/0 99 % of the time because i fish with shad or 3 to 7 inch perch and blue gills.

if i was using large chunks of skip jacks or large live baits i would use bigger size hooks .

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I used to use a Kahle, but switched to a Circle cause I started fishing an area with overhanging trees and was not able to set the hook. I started haveing a better hook up ratio so continued using them for Flatheads. Plus when a Flat takes your bait and you go for a hookset with the Kahle, if you miss the fish you usually lose your bait to. With a Circle you go for a hookset and engage your reel, if he doesn't get the hook and drops the bait you still have it on your hook for a second attempt. When I fish for Blue Cats I like the Kahle cause the Circles gettum in the corner of the mouth and on a Blue that's not that tough and the hook can pull. I have seen Blue's that were caught and the corner of the mouth was ripped from when other people have lost them. I would just use what is comfortable.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <When I fish for Blue Cats I like the Kahle cause the Circles gettum in the corner of the mouth and on a Blue that's not that tough and the hook can pull.>

To date, I have NEVER had a blue pull loose from a Gamakatsu. The blues around here seem to have VERY TOUGH mouths. Just my observation here in our river conditions. Conditions and circumstances may vary from place to place.

Bill in SC

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I prefer Kahle hooks, but if your talking about the $6.00 per 100 on eBay, I wouldn't recommend them. They are brittle, and break before 30 Lb. test line does. :angry: Hooks are one of those things " you get what you pay for".

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well i use both depending on the bait im using i find some baits work better for one and not so good for the other.say if im using blugill head or some other cut bait i prefer kahles because they just work better for me,but if im using shrimp or liver things like that i like the circles.Really its just personel preference.

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i gave khals and c hooks a try this year i was a j hook man but its khals now for me

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    it's like chevy vs ford there is no clear cut better hook, just preference. I use khales on flatheads so I can set the hook, I use circles for blues with mutiple rods so I dont have to set the hook. both I'm sure would work for either, thats just my preference.

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only use octopus circle hooks. I only bank fish and have caught blues up to #48. Anything over #20 takes some time to land, due to the river current and it takes some luck to keep them out of the rocks and snags, but I have never lost one that I am aware of from the hook ripping the corner of the mouth out. I would rather corner hook them than gut hook because I release all fish, unless someone around me wants them. Good luck.

13. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't discriminate... I use both. I'd hate for my khales to get mad at me for using a circle too much, or vice versa. I could see them having a conversation in the tackle tray.... they might turn against me... Maybe I should keep them in separate trays. lol

14. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I use both also but if I could only have one I would stick with the khal.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would rather fight than switch. Kahles.

16. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I am with Mickey.

17. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It depends on where and what type fishine im doing but most of the time its Kahles

18. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I never used a khale I used a circle and it worked very well for me so I'll stick with that

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    same goes for me, i'll stick with whats been workin

20. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    I agree with everyone. Use what works best for you at the time and you get what you pay for. Give that extra dollar or two for the better names and metels. Thats why they invented tackle boxes, so we can carry one or two of everything :smile2:.