Kahle (shiner hooks)

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bigcatwannabe, Feb 14, 2007.

1. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i've stuck with the kahle hooks forever even throught the circle hook craze and all and i was just wondering if anyone else still uses them and are as pleased as i am with them

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use them a lot, depending on how I'm fishing. I fish them just like a circle hook most of the time, just let the fish load the rod, start reeling. Also use them in smaller sizes for salt water species with live bait. When I use cut bait, I go mostly to circle hooks, because I like the way they hook into the cut bait. :smile2:

3. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    I use both kahle and circle. I especially like kahle when I am fishing very light lines - you don't dare set the hook hard with 4 lb test (yea, I know, but I love to fight big fish on ultralight gear, best so far is 37 lb blue in open water) - because the point is in very good alignment with the line and there is better room to hook a bait without closing up the gap. Understand, HOW you fish really dictates what hook would be best. I drift fish using my trolling motor and have the rod in my hands and lift and drop the bait aboout a foot. As soon as I feel a bite I load the rod and then, if using kahles, set the hook. I virtually NEVER gut hook a fish while fishing this way. If I put the rod in a holder, the risk goes way up and I like circles to avoid deep hooking the fish because I release almost all of my fish. Good fishing and big fish!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pat I agree with you on the Kahle hook. I think its the best way to go. Especially if you love the action of setting the hook I use 7/0-10/0 depending on the size of bait I'm useing.:lol: :big_smile:

5. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Im confused. Though i have yet had the chance to use either, it sounds like you set the hook with a kahle hook, and not with the circle. Would u set the hook like when you use a "J" hook? Please help. Need clarification.

Many thanxs Dru:confuse:

6. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    The circle hook is designed to slip back out of a fish's gullet when it swallows the bait, and to catch the corner of the mouth as it makes the sharp turn toward your rod. If you try to set the hook, it will often actually slip right out of the fish's mouth, so instead you either reel up to the fish untill the rod is loaded heavily and let it hook itself or just wait until the fish has moved away and hooked itself. Simply reel! This is excellent if you use rod holders and cannot feel the fish as soon as it picks up the bait. If instead you like to have the rod in your hand and set the hook on the fish when you feel it, it is not as likely to swallow the hook and any of your favorite J-style hooks (including kahle) will hook it in the mouth. Hope this helps! Good fishing and big fish!

7. Show Me Big Cats

Show Me Big Cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wyocatman, I understand your confusion since I went through this when circle hooks started to gain popularity. To describe a khale hook, think of your typical "J" hook and try to picture it with a beer belly. They have a wider base which makes it easy to run through cut bait. They come inline or straight with the shank and also come offset of the shank. With these type hooks I try to jerk the fishes head off to set the hook. Like was said earlier in this thread thier downfall is a gut hooked fish if your not ready when the fish hits. A circle hook looks basically like it sounds except the barb of the hook is curled way over and is offset. On this type of hook if you try to "set" the hook you will just pull the hook and all out of the fishes mouth and the fish will be left wondering what just tried to steal his supper. When using circle hooks just let the fish start to pull or "load up" the rod and then lift the tip and start reeling. I've used khale hooks for years but really like circles. Depends on how I'm fishing. If your used to khales or "J" hooks, circles can be kind of hard to get used to. But thier shape sure cuts down on gut hooked fish. The way they are designed, the hook just slips right through the fishes lip and he's had.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I fish the kahle hooks just like the circle hooks let the fish load the rod and if its a day when the fish just won't load it up then you still have a hook you can set. circle hooks can't be set and making them a bad hook for days went fish just won't load up a rod.

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Yep Tim called it, the kahles will set themselves just like a circle or if the fish aren't taking the bait hard you can set them. Best of both worlds. If you are having problems with fish being hooked deep, go up a few hook sizes. The smallest hook I use for catfish is a 7/0 kahle and even the little fiddlers have no trouble getting hooked. I started using the bigger hooks two years ago and haven't gut hooked a fish since.

10. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    many thanxs. Just purchased some 6/0 khale hooks from wally world. Biggest they had. will have to do till i can make it to the bait shop. Thanks again...

Dru Matthew

11. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    After seeing some pics dreadnaught had attached to a post, i've found that I bought 6/0 circle hooks. There made by eagle claw and Im very skeptical. Dont seem very sharp to me. Do you guys sharpen your own hooks?

Dru

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You can sharpen them, but be aware that most of them will rust much faster after being sharpened. It removes the coating they have from the factory. I use the 6/0 kahles chrome plated, and they haven't given me any problems as far as hook-ups. They are plenty sharp enough to hook a fish. How sharp is sharp? If the point tries to dig into a fingernail, it's sharp enough in my opinion.

13. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'm sold on Kahle hooks. I guess I'm too impatient for the circles. I have tried them a number of times and I find it hard to resist the urge to set the hook. I have yet to have a pole "load up" as it's pictured in the library. I haven't tried cirle hooks with live bait though.

14. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Khales are my choice when the fish are nibbling you can stick it to them befor they drop the bait.

15. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Khales ftw....the fish will normally set the hook its self ive had a lot of fish do this while somone esle was using circles and they didnt hit and run they would just hit my khales would nail em but his circles werent doin nothing.

btw

if your wally world restocked em if you buy the like 1.50 catfish assortments they are Khales now looks like an assortment of 6/0(just like 3), 2/0(a whole bunch!) and a couple of smaller ones that i cant seem to figure out their size.