Kahle or stay with the circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i currently ust 8/0 gama octopus cirlce hooks and love them havnt missed any fish on them but ive only used them fot channels with liver or cut bait i want a hook that i can use for live bait like big blue gills do you think i should keep the circles or go with kahles because everyone seems to like the kahles for live bait also i hooked up a live bait on a gama circle and i didnt look like it would be a good hook up

2. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Luke;

In my opinion, if using Large bluegill, I would use Kahle Hooks. That is the only Hook I really use for all Cats. But if using a hook like you are using you should try and hook them thru the eyes or just up thru the top lip. that will give you some hook exposure.

My opinion;

Gene

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Agreed. Hook point exposure is tough with big cut baits, live baits and the kind of circle ya are usein. There are larger circles on the market with a bigger gap for the bait to hang in and give ya the hook point exposure ya need. I use the very same hook ya are talkin about and also swear by em.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like you need to do a little experimenting to see what works best for you. I strongly recomend you try some 9/0 or 10/0 King Kahles in your experiment, You'll be glad you did.

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    as for me the king kahle is the only hooks that i use have been useing the for about a year an love them

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the vmc vanadium octopus circles in 7/0 and get plenty of hook exposure when using live bullhead and perch.

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    who makes the king khales and were do I get them

8. ohio catfisherman

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the info guys and king kahles are made by eagle claw find them at bass pro cabelas or catfish connection

9. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Neither. Use your gami circles and attach an Owner Mosquito style hook less than an inch below the circle hook. Hook the live bait with the Owner Mosquito hook and your Circle will ride just above it. I prefer the Owner Mosquito hooks because they are a thinner wire hook which allows live bait to stay alive longer. The Owner hook is simply to hold the bait. The circle above it is used to hook the Cat.

There is an article in one of the recent In-Fisherman mags about this technique. You don't have to use the Owner hooks, that's just my preference.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    King kahle 9/0 and 10/0 is the best i have found yet. They are made by eagle claw.

11. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    After losing several fish this year off of circles I am switching back to Kahle's. I might just not know how to use them right but I would rather fish than re-learn how to fish.

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think theres different conditions which calls for different styles of hooks. I use both circles and khales in 7/0 for cut bait depending on the size of the bait to 10/0 for large live bait. You just have to use the size hook for the size bait you're using as well as hook the bait properly for the maxium hook exposure. I think kahle hooks should be hooked through the bait and circles should be hooked at an angle or streight with the live bait. This positions the hook for better hookups when the bait is in the fishes mouth, this has even been written about in fishing magazines.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. If you want to use large baits then give the King Kahles a try. You want be sorry.:lol:

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The only hook I use the 8/0 gama octo circles myself and all I fish is fairly large bullheads (6-10in). You shouldnt have any problems. The gap thing IMHO doesnt really mater considering once a flat has taken your bait, when you tighten your line the hook pulls out of the bait snags em in the corner of the mouth. But like stated before you have to do some experimenting and find what you're confident in using. Confidence is a big thing with catching fish. Good Luck

15. ohio catfisherman

State:
    Ohio
    thank you guys for all the info

16. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    King Kahle hooks is the only way to go 10/0 or 12/0 most of the fish I catch is through the upper part of the mouth or the bottom jaw dead center, very few in the corner of the mouth and I have never got a catfish with it down inside its mouth or stomach. I think its best of both worlds you can let them hook themselves or you can cross there eye's.

They cost a few pennys but there way worth it in the long run.

17. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    i agree with dh,10/0 kahle is the only way to go......

18. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    jw go to bed ..lol....