kahle or circle

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by old newbie, Jul 16, 2009.

1. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I fish 90% of the time with livers, crawlers, and cut gills. I'm haveing no luck with circle hooks so I'm thinking of trying kahle. On ebay if you buy quantity they're very reasonable( both hooks) but before I buy a couple 100 of either I'd like to make sure it's what I want for the bait I use. Also what size would you use?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you can find the library or pull up the threads on the search engine you will find tons of discussion on this subject.I use Kahles because they act just like a circle as far as corner of the mouth hooksets but have a much larger gap and are easier to use with live bait like herring etc.Now there are wide gap circles but I just have been perfectly happy with the Kahles and release 99% of my fish.Its really what ever you feel comfortable with.For the baits you are using the Ks are probably easier to use.:big_smile:

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    for me its eagle claw j hooks!!

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm a fan of the Kahle, but I've also got the 8/0 blood red team catfish circle hooks. Unfortunately I haven't gotten out to try them yet.

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    kahles all the way!!! Size of hook depends on size of bait you use. If your using cutbait and crawlers I'd say 5/0 -7/0. For live bait use 8/0-10/0. I used 8/0 king kahles last weekend and caught three 9lb channels with them. Had absolutly no trouble with the hooks using cut gills. When using kahles I do NOT set the hook as hard as I can. When the fish pulls I pull back. Buy some you will like them.

6. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    bruce i use gamao octpu 10/0 J hooks all the time

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been using 8/0 gama circle hooks for the past 7 years, and caught many flatheads over 40-lbs, and a few over 50-lbs...They work pefect for me all the time.

Just let the rod load up "bend down" and slowly pull back fish on.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes I only use offset circles, I would not trust an inline circle hook.

All Circle are not created equal.

9. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For me it's kahle's mostly a 6/0 and 7/0, and I get my hooks off ebay 10 for around $3 and they are aweesome hooks.

10. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    You will get different answers from different fishermen. I use a 4/0 kahlie. The 45lb blue on my avitar was cauht on this same hook so I know they have good holding power. But as far as circles ...I don't care for them but that's my preference. You just have to see what works for you.

John

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    8/0 gamakatsu Octopus Circles for me all the way. Work great unless the fish are biting light then you might need to change to a Kahle.

You'll get tons of opinions on this but Circles have worked for me. I can just kick back and not worry about tending my pole. I usually fish several poles at once and I let the circles do their job.

12. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Last year when I started back to fishing I was familiar with Kahles from previous experiences, I caught my first 2 ever Flats on Kahles by Eagle Claw, not sure the size I have, but they are Lime Green, after fishing with a couple guys from this board I tried and switched to Gamatsku Octopus, depending on the waters I fish is what size I have been using (somewhere between 7/0 - 9/0, trying to accomodate to the size of fish expected. I also based it on how fished an area is by other people, etc....

I fished a dam area last night, and used a size 7/0 Eagle Claw Sea Circle.

I also vary my hook and size by the bait I am using as well.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  13. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Either way I hink you will be all right. I use the gamm circle in the 7/0 and 8/0. The flathead in my avatar was 40lbs and caught on a whole gill with a circle hook. They work great for me and they are sharp!!!!!

14. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    J all the way. :eek:oooh:

15. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I appreciate all the replies, I might just pick up some kalhe, and j's and put them out along side each other and see how it goes. A quick look thru the different state forums found this ? on almost every state, so I guess I,m not the only one :confused2:

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    eagle claw 84s all the time for big cats. thing about the kahle i dont like is they bend out under extreme pressure unless you use a huge size. at least i never held a kahle that was heavy enough. strong ones may be out there somewhere. lol

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009