Kahle or circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i currently use 8/0 gama octopus circle hooks i have had good luck with them catching channels i was wondering since i plan on going for the big blues and flats what hooks i should use

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    same hooks just make sure that u fish them the way u r fishing them for channels.
    i like to put a little set on the hook so i went with kHayles

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like to set the hooks hard so I use the Kahle 7/0-10/0. Depending on the size of my bait. The hook you are useing will work for blues if you let the fish slowly load the hook then start reeling.Don't hard set a circle hook.:lol:

4. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    In the last 72 hours I have been fishing 16. I tried a side by side comparison of 8/0 khales and 8/0 circles on a tidal river. Let the khales hook themselves like you would on a circle but missed more fish. I know a lot of folks swear by khales but I cut them all off and am going back to circles for the rest of the season.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stay with the circle hooks. When the fish takes the bait and heads for home, that is when you grab the rod and set the hook. I would prefer to have the hook set in the corner of the mouth, as opposed to setting the hook when the bait is in the gut. I have used circle hooks for almost 2 years and have 100% success with removing the hooks from the corner of the mouth and releasing the fish in perfect condition.