KAHLE OR CIRCLE HOOK FOR CATFISHING - WHICH IS THE BEST FISHING HOOK?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CATFISHGARY1, Apr 7, 2009.

1. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    after just posting on a thread about kahl or circle hooks just wodering what everyone else uses and why not the other

i like kahl they never have let me down and the thrill of setting my own hook does it for me when i throw it to him and he throws it right back and the power battle is own , to me that feeling cant be beat

2. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    circle

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I use both:wink:

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use both types.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I'm up to 7/0 kahles..have a few 9/0 but all kahles.

6. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    i use both

7. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    i only use circle now but i have not used the kale yet may try some are they bad to hang up ?

8. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use both depending on the situation. Circles 80% of the time for me, I get a much better hookup ratio then with any other hook. I do use Kahles the other 20%, mostly for live baits because of the shape it seems help with live bait getting off the hook. I also use them if I am only getting small fish and need to set the hook. In my experience, small fish seem to bump the bait alot, and not grab it and swim off like larger fish do, so being able to set the hook like I did as a kid with treble hooks, I catch more small fish. Usually if I am catching small fish, I move, but when I am on the bank, I don't always have the option to move. Kahles also work good when I am fishing for bullheads on light tackle. I don't gut hook as many fish with kahles or circles as I have with j-hooks, so I usually stick to on the these two options.

As for circles, I leave the rod in the holder until the rod is loaded up, then reel down several turns before I take it out of the holder. Have great success with this method. Saw this on the Team Catfish videos, and it is the most consistant method to get a good hook set with circles that I have found.

I believe that a question like which hook is better is too generic. Each hook has its application and I feel like part of being a better fisherman means you have to experiment with different methods, and being well rounded enough to use different tools based on the situation. Another example is drift fishing vs anchored. Both are very effective at times, it completly depends on the situaiton, and we should be able to adapt to the ever changing conditions.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I use circles if I'm not using a clicker and use only J-hooks when running clickers. That's the only way I do it. Any other way and my hook up percentage goes waaaaaay down. That's just been my experience.

10. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    i use 10/0 super wide gap circle hooks. sure wish i could get some more of them too.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Attached Files:

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I personally use both, since I "entertain" many different people @ times, it's easier for me to equip them with the Kahles or J hooks. Even though many have never fished before they all seem to like to "rip the lips off of 'em":smile2:

13. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    circle only

14. dredgeman

dredgeman New Member

State:
    n.c.
    I use 8/0 circle hooks all the time

15. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use both. I prefer kahle hooks for chicken livers, circles for cut and live bait.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've used the 10/0 and 11/0 cicle hooks that Pete sells and they are really good hooks for bigger baits. You can fish them either way by letting the fish hook themselves or by jerking as hard as you want to.

Also really like the team catfish 8/0 double action hooks for just over small to medium size baits. You can also fish these hooks either style but will need to make more of a sweeping hook set instead of a hard hook set.

Also love the kahle hooks from 7/0 nickle to 8/0 - 10/0 black pearl. You can match the hook size to the bait size, whole, live or cut. You can fish these hooks any style you want and jerk as hard as you want. Another thing I like about these hooks is you don't have to worry about covering the hook point when you are letting them run and then setting the hook hard, these hooks will drive through the bait and into the fishes mouth.

I use several other types of hooks as well but the type of set up i'm using that day, the type and size bait i'm using and most of all the aggressiveness or lack there of of the fish on that particular day will decide what hook and what setup I will be using that day.

17. CarolinaHitman

CarolinaHitman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use both,.... circle for cut bait and kahle for both cut and live baits. Kinda like setting the hook myself,Gary.:cool2:

18. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Im a big fan of the 8/0 gamagatsu circle, ive tried kahles but i had some gut hooked fish and missed some fish. The circle seems to have a much better hook up rate from my experience.

19. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I like the Daiichi D84Z Circle Chunk Light Bleeding Bait Hook.

20. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont really like either. I like gamakatsu 10-12/0 octopus, wide enough gap and super sharp but can also pull up a tree if need be to get the hook back. best hook for the money,,, period.........