Kahle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by justwannano, Mar 3, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm wanting to try kahle hooks and was wondering what size to try.
    I generally fish for eater size cats.
    So what say you guys?
    have a good one
    just

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree with the 4s.You will love Kahles.Most of times they hook themselves but you are still able to set the hook yourself.They are all I use.

4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Id use 5/0 for the smaller eater size cats and go with the mighty 10/0 for the big boys. These are what I use and they are an awesome hook. I really like them, increased my hook up alot when I started usung them. rspd507

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    id have to agree with the outher guys on this one been playing with them circle hooks the last few times out an now there in the trash lost one nice fish on sat an that was the last draw for them

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with Pat on this. I use 7/0-10/0 kahles for larger blues and flatheads.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First let me say that the same number hook sizes vary a good bit between different manufactures.

Second The Catfish Connection catalog can be purchased on line for $1.95 and has a very good line of hooks pictures printed in it.Best of all every single one that I have ever measured with a hook laid on the picture have been the actual size of the one in the Catalog.Best hook chart that I know of for ordering hooks or checking hook size and type.In the new catalog that I just got,the hook sizes are still displayed great just like my 3 year old one.

I used a #8 Kahle for Bluegill,Shellcracker and Redbreast with Crickets,worms and small minnows.I have caught a great many Bull Heads,small Channel Cat and Bow fin on them while doing so.I used mainly #2 & #1 for the 8-12 inch BullHead and Cat Fish that I target with cut bait,small minnows,clam,worms and shrimp.We have many Channel Cat in our rivers and their small mouth has not broaden out like they will do when larger.They school and will often drive you crazy picking the bait off of larger hooks.I have up to 10/0 Kahle and up to 22/0 circle saltwater long line hooks with the rigs for the trophy hunters that went with me occasionally.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like kahles myself.For eater size i dont use but a 2/0 or 3/0 depending on the bait im using.ive caught 10,15,and 20 pounders on those hooks i use the eagle claw and the wisker stickers.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We catch a ton of eater sized cats and I use eagle claw kahles and king kahles from 7/0 - 10/0 sizes. The 7/0 is plenty small enough to handle smaller baits and is plenty stout enough to hold a big fish. Match your bait size to your hook size. Even the 10/0 king kahle with a big fillet is not to big to catch a 2 lb. blue. The eagle claw 7/0 nickle plated kahle used to be my most used hook but over time the most used now is the eagle claw 9/0 kahle and have caught fish from 1 lb. all the way up to 41 lbs. with it.

10. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    Do you prefer kahle hooks over circle hooks? Why?

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When fishing for eater size channels ranging from 2-8 lbs. I like to use The Whisker Stickers with double barbs...purchased at wally world. They are a medium size kahle hook and do a great job. Since using these my hook-ups has improved greatly. When targeting larger blues and Flatheads I go with 9/0 or 10/0. I do use circle hooks sometimes as well as J-hooks but I'm leaning more towards Kahle hooks being my favorite now due to increased success.:smile2:

12. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I use Kahle Hooks because when that rod bends over I can't for the life of me NOT SET THE HOOK. I like to make sure he know I am there. I mostly use Eagle Claw 5/0-7/0. I have caught cats from 1 lb to 54 lbs on them. My Wife uses Circle hooks and they work well for her.

13. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I'm like Rusty, I just can't stop setting the hook.I guess it's in my DNA,or the way I was raised. I like Kahles and use from 4/0 to 10/0 depending on what I'm fishing for. Allen

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Big Cats 20 + lbs.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20291&hasJS=true

Smaller Cats 1-20 lbs.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20291&hasJS=true

I was using the Gamakatsu 5/0 Kahle hooks, but the Owner 5/0 Kahles are a little bit bigger, I like them for the channels I target. (4-20lb.) The Eagle Claw King Kahle 8/0 is a good all around river hook for the big blues and flats. Dont waste your time with the 9/0 version, just step it up to the 10/0 for the monster blues and flats.