Kahle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, Jul 8, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what makes kael hooks so greaT IVE NEVER USED THEM I WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING SOME IVE BEEN USING GAMAGASOO OCTO CIRCAL AND STRAIGHT HOOKS, ARE THE KAHLS AS GOOD

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i use kahle hooks almost all the time, i have a pretty good hit/hookup ratio, it is just a personal preference to which hook is better.

3. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I have used all the hooks you mentioned and like the kahle hooks best.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the Kahle hook because of the wide gap for larger baitfish. I use 7/0 to 10/0 king kahles. I like to set the hook hard when the fish bites. Sometimes I'm slower and the fish will hook himself. I think the kahle hook is the best of both worlds With circle hook you have to wait and let the fish hook himself. You can get a big arugument with this question. So it comes down to a matter of prefference and what works best for you.:big_smile:

5. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    You can get a big arugument with this question. So it comes down to a matter of prefference and what works best for you.:big_smile:[/quote]

amen mickey just use what ever your comfartable with

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I tried Kahle (pronounced "Kay" "LEE" according to the lady on the phone at Eagle Claw)( Bass pro pronounced them "Cale")(I call my hooks what I want) hooks when I lost much of the feeling in my hands.I think they helped me hook up a lot of fish that I was missing.They seem to be in between the worlds of J hooks and Circle hooks.I think that fish will hook themselves like circle hooks,but you can set the hook like the J hooks if you wish with out the loss of fish you get when you try to set a Circle hook.I have tried all kinds of hooks in my 50+ years of fishing.I think they are great for children,new fishermen,handicapped and all of the rest.Some do not like them because they rust.I now have many thousands of Stainless Steel and Tinned hooks lost in fish and the water during my 50+ years of fishing.There has to be trillions of these non rusting type hooks out there waiting to damage or kill something.The quicker a hook will rust out in the water the better in my book.I will not use or recommend a hook that will not rust for this reason.I have found the Eagle Claw to be a larger hook and have a thicker wire,when size # to size # is compared to the Mustad.I like the smaller wire for small live bait.I use the # 8 Kahle for pan fish and bait.I have caught Bowfin up to 7 lbs.on the # 8's.The large fish normally but not always swallow the little #8 hook.I have them up to 10/0.Fish do not seem to swallow the Kahle hooks as often as the J hooks in my opinion.Now some try and do not like them.I think that it is hard to git use to something new when you have been using something else for many years.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

7. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I really like these hooks, but, they seem to be SNAG magnets for me. I have never had so many snags and lost hooks in my life as I've had since I started useing kahles. Weight or no weight, I can't even get near rip-rap, wood, rocks, pallet piles,etc. and expect to get my hook back. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. It is nice when I get a good size cat on to see that hook in the corner of their mouth. primitive

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    That may be their secret.They hook everything.Are they too good a hook?Things to think about when you seem to be "Snag Happy"as I call it.Do you find yourself constantly taking up the slack in your line until you find yourself hung up?Stop doing it.A long rod held high while you reel in as fast as you can may help.Fish call snags "home".I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    when using these kaaels do you set the hook or use them like a circal im using size 6/0 for 3 inch bluegill is this to small

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You can do it both way, that is the beauty of these hooks!!! I use nothing under a 7/0 kahle but, that is just my prefference!

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    we dont have anything over 4/0 around here, at least everywhere ive checked. so ive never used em. i might order some sometime in the future to try out. but for now im gunna stick to octopus and j's.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what brand of kaels do u use im using egle claw , but im sharpining them, and am hooking the bluedgill through the lips and out the nooze

13. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    check on ebay they sell big packs of khale hooks in bulk so you can save money andhave extras for all those great stumps we all have grown to love "SNAG" again? lol 50 packs are a great way to not go wal-mart crazy lol
    wal-mart doesnt exactly carry bigger hooks anyway lol or at least down in tennessee.

as for preference of setting the hook or not? i try to set the hook because a lot of catfish will just strip the bait off your hook without actually trying to rip it off so you dont even think they are trying to eat it until its gone. which is another reason why those really sensitive tip fishing poles were invented! they let you see EXACTLY what is going on underwater,and you can have alot better chance on catching em!
    hope this helps and have a great day!