Kahle hooks!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by yotetrapper, May 14, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    After reading all these posts here about everyone using Kahle hooks, I thought that surely every self-respecting catfisherman needed some. So I bought some in the biggest size I could find around here, 1/0. Friday night we went fishing. The cats wern't biting, just bullhead. Soon after i got there, I hooked a bullhead and the had him half way to the bank when he spit my kahle hook. I didnt think too much of it, until I had a second bullhead do the same thing!!! What's up with this? Maybe my fish here don't know how to use them fancy looking hooks. I'm thinking I'm gonna throw my kahles out and go back to baitholders and trebles.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are some on here who swear by Circle hooks,some who swear by Kahle's.Myself personally,I'm going back to the tried and true. I always used Tru-Turns when I was a kid and never lost a fish! So I say what ever works for ya,then thats what ya need to use!JMHO:smile2:

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    You might need to bend the point section of the hook outward slightly, I do this on the hooks that are inline with it's self and it improves my hookup ratio.

4. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    My experience shows that kahle hooks must be set, and set hard. I've heard they can be fished like a circle, but when I tried that (sweeping hookset) I lost fish. Were you setting the hook traditionally, or using the cirlce hook method of sweeping the rod back after it was loaded?

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When you set that hook,you have to cross their eyes,then you won't lose them.lol I don't know what you were using for bait,but a 1/0 hook is not that big a hook. Maybe your hook wasn't big enough for the size bait you were using,thus not allowing a good hook set. It's like PK said,you've got to use a hook that you feel comfortable with,and have confidence in.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would recommend using circle hooks. Circle hooks are the best way to catch fish and release fish.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I set the hook the same way I've always set traditional style hooks. Not harder than normal, but not just pulling back either. To me, even a 1/0 seems huge. I've always used no larger than a #2. Fishing rainbow trout and chinook salmon in Lake Ontario, I've always used a size 6 egg hook. not 6/0, 6. Last year i've fished channels using size 2 and 4 hooks of the baitholder style and didn't lose none other than one broke my 8lb test line. everyone here on the forum and here at home keep telling me i need big reels, big rods, big line, big hooks and big weights.... but i didn't land a fish last time and thats weird for me. I'll give the kahles another try but if i lose anymore fish they're getting tossed in the water, lol.

Angela

8. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use 6/0 kahle hooks for trotlines and jug lines they work for Me for that. But I use 5/0 old time hooks to pole fish with. never did well with kahle hooks on My rod and reel. 1/0 hook to me is a small hook.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Last year I used nothing but Circle hooks. I love them.... except when the fish are biting short and not comitting. So I switched to Kahles. It is nice to slam the hook home.... except when they onl munc half the fish.... I have had about the same hook up ratio with both. That said, this year I am gonna set the hook!

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its my opinion that alot of people oversize their tackle for catfish.
    I see people fishing with something I would use for standup tuna fishing.

I hardly ever use anything over a 8/0 hook unless I'm fishing large live baits.
    I caught a 33 pound flathead Friday night on a 6/0 hook, 7' medium heavy rod, and a ABU6500 reel spooled with 25 pound big game.
    It wasnt much of a fight. That fish was way outgunned and I would have had to make some really stupid moves to jeopardize me getting him on the bank. Sure I had to give him some line a few times but the fight was less then 5 minutes. The hook was more then adequate and showed no signs of bending. Of course they arent wire hooks either.