Kahle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by readingcatfisher, Oct 18, 2009.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Just wanted to get some opinions on kahle hooks from you guys out there.Do you use them with a clicker or tight line em ?Is 7/0 big enough for flatheads and should I set them or let the fish hook themselves?Thanks in advance:wink:

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    you can fish khale hooks w/ tightline or a clicker.........and the size hook depends on your bait mostly.........

3. Mutt84

Mutt84 New Member

State:
    Alaska
    I often wonder that myself. Never used them but willing to try. Good question.

4. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I use mostly small live sunnies or sunny heads

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    7/0 is good for most baits, 10/0 for the bigger stuff. you can use them either way Jim. its all up to how you want to do it.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    7s are big enough for most baits. Also alot cheaper than 8s.:smile2:
    They will set themselves or you can set it.
    I tight line and it depends on how the fish hits whether or not I set it.

7. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Hopefully I get them this week,then maybe I'll get to try em out:wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim all of the above post hae answered your quesions. Kahle hooks are a good hook. I like to use them because I like to set the hook hard. An old habit, I can't quit.

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I agree with Mickey, I like to set the hook hard too. I first started useing
    kahles on jugs and I was sold on them. Kahles have a higher hook-up ratio
    than j hooks even if you depend on fish to hook themselves. I have tried
    to go to circles because so many people are so high on them but so far
    I am not that impressed. In south Alabama slang for a kahle hook is a
    "suicide hook" meaning any fish that bites is committing suicide.

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I tight line myself and the hook's set them self ,Never had i kitty come off yet.

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Thanks Poppa I tried some smaller sized kahles on some channel cats but I want to use em for flatheads and wondered how they hold up to the fight of a 20+ pound flat on a rod and reel thanks for your input Poppa every bit of info on these hooks is very useful to me Thanks to everyone else who answered all the info was very useful:wink:

12. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Jim I think that bait size would dictate the size kahle hook to use probably
    a 7 to 10 for a large live flathead bait. You want a hook large enough that
    when that flatty swallows the bait he gets the point so to speak.LOL I think
    if you use kahles from 7 up for large flats if you come unhooked it will not
    be becaused of hook failure.

13. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Well I ordered 7/0 and I mainly use bluegills about 4"-6" long or just the heads if I feel uncomfortable I have some Team Catfish 8/0 with me at all times but I think I might try 1 of each as an experiment to see which hooks up better.

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well the 80 lb flathead ya see in my avatar pic was caught on a 4/0 bronze kahle hook on 20 lb test line ..

wouldnt ya know he hit the crappiest rod i had out lol but it did the job ...

7/0 would work for small to medium baits just fine ,, then 10 /0 king kahles for larger baits like 6 to 8 inches and up .

but remember with any hook leave plenty of tip exsposure , dont hook the baits too deep and croud the point .

thats the key with whatever hook you choose

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been using King Kahle hooks for flatheads now going on 3 years and I really like them. The flathead in my avatar 67 lbs. was caught on a live bluegill on a 9/0 kahle hook. I like to set the hook too and these hooks get the job done. 7/0's are plenty of hook for big flatheads. Good Luck to ya!!!:wink:

16. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Now I'm not so worried about it just waiting for them to get here so I can tie one on and try it:wink:

17. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Got em today just need a test run to try em out hopefully the fish cooperate:wink::smile2:

18. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I use 7/0 kahls almost exclusively with a reverse bent eye and offset hook. They snell great with a 50lb mono and you would be surprised how big a bait I can get on them. They are great for driftin bottom floating rigs with cut bait.

19. Mutt84

Mutt84 New Member

State:
    Alaska
    Where did you buy them Jim? How many and what brand? I was wondering if Gamakatsu made them.

20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    trust me Jim they will hold a big fish. my 32.8 came on a 7/0 and as you've seen some monsters been caught on them. they'll do great for ya buddy.