Kahle Hooks

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by shelbygt1979, Mar 19, 2009.

1. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Has anyone ever hooked a fish too deep with a Kahle hook??

I am wonderiing as I was just looking on google for some where to get some stronger Kahle hooks in a 5/0 size and happened to read this and was dumbfonded.

It has never happened to me and 99.9 percent of my fish are let go

Kahle Hooks
    Kahle hooks were in use for live and natural bait before the short shank live bait hooks became popular. These are deadly hooks, not suitable for catch and release. They hook a fish much farther back in the mouth, often in the throat or gill area. These hooks more often result in gut hooking than other hook designs.
    Use these hooks where a 100% fish harvest is desirable. In other words, if you plan to keep everything you catch, these hooks work well.

Here is the link:

http://saltfishing.about.com/od/accessorie1/a/aa041125a_2.htm

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i had it happen a few times last year. cut the line as close as i could and released fish.

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Was it a flat??

Do you think you might of waited to long??

These are just questions so I can try and not let it happen to me.

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    My experience is that a catfish can gut hook itself rather easily regardless
    of what type of hook you have on if they take the bait aggressively as if
    keeping it away from another fish nearby. If they pick up, mouth, turn and
    go, circle hooks pull to the corner of the mouth and hook there. Hit hard
    swallow while running gut hooks most of the time. Kahle probably gut
    hooks schooling salt water fish for whomever is writing that peice.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I've been fishing kahle hook's for while over 30 year's and have never got a dirty hook = Gut hook ..and they are great for catch and release ..I don't were you read that at but it's not true!!!!!!!!

6. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I have been using the Kahle hooks for a couple of years now and I've had maybe one or two gut hooked. I like the Kahle hooks .

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have had it happen before but not that often. Most times it is in the corner of the mouth just like a circle.
    I use Kahles 95% of the time.
    They do grab good and are hard to get out sometimes but I think that if you keep an eye on your rod and set the hook yourself, if he doesnt get hooked on the first strike, then you will be alright.
    I tried and Octopus 5/0 hook for the first time the other day. Caught a 1 lb channel on it. Hook was so deep in his throat that I could barely see the shank.:crazy:
    I think I will stick with my Kahles.:cool2::smile2:

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i used kahle hooks for the first time tonight w/ Kyle and all were "shallow" hooked or right in the corner like circles. i use circle hooks on my gear and love the "lazy" style of fishin :roll_eyes: that they allow me to use. never had a gut hook eccept for on the dinks if i was usin a small enough hook. its just that the dinks cant load up my rods so the circles can do their job. after tonight i think i can use kahles and be pleased.

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    they were flatheads. and there was no hesitation they took off with bait and i set the hook. no indication of a hit just took off with bait. doesn't happen to me alot but if you fish long enough anyhing is bound to happen.

10. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah I have seen that same link before. I think its a straight out LIE when it comes to using a kahle for catfish !
    I have been using Kahles for 17yrs and I have only had 1 flathead swallow a kahle, now those are pretty good odds in my book !
    Now I have had smallmouth and largemouth bass get gut hooked on a kahle because they went and swallowed one of my creek chubs but heck I just cut them up and used them for bait ! I even got my chub back ! :smile2:
    95% of the time a kahle hooks them right in the corner of the mouth like a circle. I look at it this way. It does the work of a circle , PLUS sometimes Flatheads don't run. They may just pick up your bait and hold it. Well, what good is a circle hook in that situation ?

Now I'm not attacking anyone that likes circle hooks, I have lots of friends that use them and they are top notch fisherman, But when the fish are on the run I catch just as many fish as they do and when the fish aren't on the run , my friends look at me and say " HEY MATT CAN I BUM A KAHLE HOOK OFF OF YA " :wink:
    Matt AKA DESODE

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Matt, I agree almost all mine have been in the corner of the mouth as well I love kahle's I will use circles when the channels are just nailing the bait and it gives me a little extra time to get the one fish off before I get another and I too have had friend's ask me for a kahle hook because I keep catchin fish and there missing them.

Thanks for the post Matt.

12. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No problem Shelby, I just had to order some online, last week. They are getting really hard to find here in ohio. I made a post about it and some of our fellow BOC guys told me some places to look for them online. Here is the link to the thread. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105378

I also heard some good reports about sickle hooks. I'm going to try using sicles on my number 2 pole this season. I have been told that your hook set ratio almost doubles on sickles. Thing is they are expensive. I ain't ever giving up my Kahles but I'll give the sickles a try on old #2.

Matt AKA DESODE

13. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    well when a flattie just picks it up and holds it... what good is a kahle hook? most of the time when they do that it just looks like a lite bite and then nothing. The only way to tell if the bait/hook is sitting in their mouth is to observe the difference in line tention.... with a kahle in this situation if noticed you can set the hook, with a circle you can just reel in very slowly until the the fish is hooked and starts to fight which in most cases sets the hook for you... the flathead will in most cases not give up his feed if it has already been sitting in his mouth for a couple seconds, most of the time they will get very agessive and hook themselves if the bait in their mouth is aggitated..... Not true in the colder months, this is when they become lite biters.:wink:

14. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been using kahle hooks for quite a few years now. The one thing I have noticed is I tend to hook a lot of cats through the eye with them. If anybody catches a record channel outta Olathe Lake with one eye its one I released! LOL

I love using circle hooks in the river for blues or when the fish are really slamming the rod. But I always use kahles for flatheads or when the bite is light. I can count on one hand how many fish I have gut hooked with kahles. Well except for pesky bullheads. LOL They always swallow the hook. The little kitty in my profile pic was taken on a 6/0 kahle hook.:eek:oooh:

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I use circles most of the time, but I also use kahles and would say that there isn't a huge difference in the deep hooked rate. My 76lb flatty from last year was mouth hooked on a 5/0 kahle.

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have never had one gut hooked and that is all that I have really ever used. I do shy away from the stainless hooks for that reason of gut hooking fish. The standard hook will be destroyed by the fish and its acid in the mouth and stomach. So if you do ge a gut hook just cut as close as possible and let go. Shelby what hooks are you using now that you want stronger ones?

17. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Well I want to use a smaller Kahle hook for flats like 5/0 or 6/0 right know I use eagle claw King's for channels, and regular kahles for flats.

I want to use a smaller kahle as the hole in the bait fish IMO would be smaller however these 5/0 eagle claw hooks bend to easy and I would like to hook a 10-15" live shad on two that are stinger rigged.

Keith keeps talking about Owner 5/0 but they only come in 5 packs well that's all I found so far.

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I used the 5/0's for all my cats last year and never had an issue with them coming away bent. I have bent a few when snagged up but it took some force to do it. I bet you would be surprised on how much it would take to bend one when hooked into a cats mouth. No matter how hard they swim and agaist the current it will not be close to snagging some timber that is buried in the mud. I say stay with the Eagle Claws and fish on!

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i use paired up 5/0 kales every year year after year and have never had a cat hooked so bad he couldnt be released

20. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i run 5/0 kahles pairedup like that one snelled the other uni snelled for my larger live bait rigs never had a problem